Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sweep around a path that is intersecting

muchetemuchete Member Posts: 5
Hey there!

I'm new to Onshape so please excuse the stupid question, but I only want to sweep the triangle around the path that I imported. 

But apparently that doesn't work because the lines touch. Is there any way to solve this?

Greetings Michael

Answers

• John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 233
    edited December 2019
    Hello @muchete
     Can you post a link to your Document? This makes it easier for us to take a look at your example. Thanks!

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    If you split the path and do two sweeps and then Boolean them together you should be good.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • muchetemuchete Member Posts: 5
    Hello @muchete
     Can you post a link to your Document? This makes it easier for us to take a look at your example. Thanks!

Hey @John_P_Desilets
    Sure: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/43783eb9617446f4553741fb/w/f098e9d5aabe3abd2aa981cb/e/395b55ff65488ada90113356

@owen_sparks
    i tried this, but somehow it always shows errors when doing the sweep. It seems to be an issue of the surface thats within 

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    That may be due to zero length geometry.  Try bumping the arc slightly above the intersection. .001" or so
  • muchetemuchete Member Posts: 5
    Wow! Thannks a lot @steve@steve_shubin
    But I don't quite get it. Should I have changed the radius of the L arch slightly? 

Anyway, solved my issue. Thank you.
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @muchete

The curve in the LOOK HERE sketch is too tight (small) for the sweep to work. This is part of the reason why you get the message that it intersects on itself when you try to do a sweep. 

So, I made a new sketch (Sketch 1) which is NOT as tight

I also reduced the width of the base of the triangle that I used in the sweeps from .299 to .28

Doing both of the above allowed me to make what you see in the document that I have a link to, in my above post

Watch the below animation

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    @muchete

If you’re going to have the problem of a self intersecting sweep, It’s likely it’s the inside of the curve along the sweep that intersects with itself. Because the inside of the curve is making a smaller or tighter turn then your path, and that’s usually where you start getting these self intersecting problems.

In the below animation, I have it set to do a SURFACE sweep. Now in this animation, I am using your path, which is the LOOK HERE sketch. And I’m also using your triangle as the shape to sweep.

Notice how I select the left side of the triangle first and try to get it to sweep. It fails.
    Then I select the base to sweep and it fails.

The two above fail because they’re trying to make a tighter radius then your path has. And as is, your path has too tight of a curve to allow these two segments to make a sweep
    But I am able to select the right side of the triangle as it goes counterclockwise around the curve, as this face is making a larger radius and there is no self intersecting that occurs

So, my solution was to make a looser curve, and make the base narrower. And doing these two allowed what you see in my above document