Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Possible to link "item" to a drawing?

tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
I have several items added to our account (adhesives, labels, etc.). I'd also like to create drawings as a record that can be exported with relevant information such as specifications, supplier part number, etc. 

Is there any way I can link the item to the drawing so that they can go through a release process together and information like the PN, name, and description are automatically added to the drawing? 

I was going to make an improvement request for this, but I figured I'd ask first to make sure I'm not missing something. 
Tagged:

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    You can add Items with the BOM

I don't think there is a way to add a balloon to them in drawings.
    I think when the came out with Items, it was hinted that this function would be coming later.
    As you can see, you can attach the item to a reference, but that doesn't do anything that I am aware of yet.

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, @john_mcclary, I am aware of the ability to add to a BOM. I also saw the "reference" option and wondered what it was. Good to know that I'm probably not missing anything there, yet. 

If it wasn't clear in my post, we're creating stand-alone drawings for these things because the drawing is the Rev controlled document that defines the part for us. So, I've ended up with both a drawing and an "item" with the same part number. The drawing defines the part number, but the "item" allows us to put the part number in the BOM. It would just be nice to connect the two somehow. 
    Maybe I'm missing something but, wouldn't that be doable by making it a normal part, surface or sketch?

Maybe just a sketch with a single point that you insert into the assembly, that way it won't be an annoying thing that shows up on paper when you insert into a drawing.

I assume this are invisible reference objects that you don't want visible.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @john_mcclary
    If you make it a sketch, it then won't show up in the BOM :(
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    edited December 2019
    I suppose I could do that, just seems like a hack that would just end up confusing the next person to come along. (I can imagine them deleting the "empty" part studio while thinking they're cleaning things up behind me  :smile: ).

Also, can you assign a part number to a part that only has a sketch (with no solid bodies)?

I thought you could, maybe that was a surface... I donno. I don't usually use anything but solids on a daily basis... I thought I remember a surface holding Metadata at one point... 

Either way.. this is what items were meant to do, just need Onshape to finish unlocking it
    Thanks for the help, guys. 

I tried both the sketch and surface workarounds. While, both can be inserted into a drawing, only a surface can have part number. So, creating a surface that is added to the assemblies and drawings is still an option for a work-around. 

I am still curious about the "reference" option for items. I found the Tech Tip discussing items, but it only goes as far to say you can reference another part and stops short of saying what that does or why you'd want to do it. Maybe @NeilCooke could share some thoughts?

Unless there's some hidden functionality in the "reference" option that I'm missing, I think I'll be writing that improvement request today. :smile:

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @tim_hess427 - the reference option is for indicating on-screen which part an item refers to (e.g. which parts should have adhesive applied).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    @NeilCooke - thanks. Does that then allow me to add a balloon for the item that points to the referenced part? How is the reference actually used?

In general the language of an item "reference" seems odd. I wouldn't think to myself "this glue refers to this bezel". A reference defines or describes another thing. So, maybe a specification document or drawing references an item. To me, "attaches to", "used with", "linked to" would all seem more appropriate in this context, hence my confusion.
    @NeilCooke
    is there a plan to link the item info to a stacked or split balloon?
    not sure what to call it.. Reference No. ?? 
    which passes the BOM number of the Item that is attached to a part.

Example:

Have a 3D Part called "Bearing"
    Add "Grease" Item, point to "Bearing" in the reference box.
    The BOM would be:

Item | Qty | Description
      1    |  2    | Bearing
      2    |  2    | Grease    <-- qty derived from the sum of all referenced parts

In the drawing, then add "Ref No." to the balloon

and when you point to a Bearing, it will give the "Ref No."

That way we can have the option of a split balloon, or stacked later on when that comes to Onshape.

We may need "Ref Qty" "Ref Description" etc. also while you're at it :smile:

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    @john_mcclary Yes, we have plans to really support items on callouts.  We'd like to see if we could do something a bit more automatic, but still also permit a manual add of an item.  In the manual mode, it might be nice to add an item by selecting it from the BOM table in the drawing.  This is basically adding another callout to the "stack".  All callouts should always be "stack-able".  

Can you explain more about "Ref No."?  Is that an extra column in your BOM, or is that how you are thinking about adding item callouts?  
    Adding to Callouts.
  • CBowersCBowers Member Posts: 50 PRO
    There still isn't a way to add bom items to callouts, correct? We just started using items for smaller hardware and some other parts that don't require a model. Just making sure I'm not missing something and manual entry is still the way.
    Still not implemented 
  • poulsonepoulsone Member Posts: 23 PRO
    In case anyone finds this old thread while looking for a way to add things to the BOM when Items aren't suitable, use empty assemblies.  They show up nicely in the BOM (as long as the Bom is Structured!), can be released, etc.  We use this for things like software and wire harnesses when we are too lazy to model the harness.  This approach also lets add things like connectors to the harness assembly later
    I like the empty BOM idea! 
  • trevor_GSItrevor_GSI Member Posts: 5
    @NeilCooke Still want the ability to use balloon callouts on BOM items.  Would love for this feature to get some support.  I hope it is still in the works since we can tie BOM items to a reference part, but cannot show in balloon callouts. 

Our specific use case is to assign a standard set of soft goods materials from our library to a referenced physical part so we don't have to enter the material data repeatedly on new items.  In the BOM table, we want to show the reference(d) materials, but not the physical part itself.  Some of our materials are sandwich construction of bi-directional knit cloth adhered to EVA foam from both sides (similar example could be a sunglasses case).

Thanks for keeping this in consideration.