Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Simple question? well to me is very hard.....

Hi Community,

I am trying to figure out how to make a slot in this object, i will try and explain.

I need to make a slot essentially in the vertical access, halfway into the object, the same size as the outer rounded section.
(as another rounded object is going to interface with the shaft that slide into teh hole.)

Basically i can do it with a Revolve of a appropriately sized rectangle.
But the problem is that when i create the rectangle, it is on one of the sketch planes that are in the wrong spot.

So how do you do this? what is the preferred method to ???MOVE??? the part, in this case the center of the circle to the correct position to use the revolve.

Or am i missing something basic here. If i have i am more than happy to learn.
I cant seem to find the right search terms to use to find the right answer. dumb i know but its go me stumped.

Thanks.

Answers

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi and welcome.

I don't understand your question exactly but a couple of things you might find useful.
    (1) Sketches can be made on any planer (flat) entity in onshape.  In your example you've probably put a sketch on one or more of the default planes.  You can also create new planes wherever you need them and put sketches there, or you can place a sketch on a flat surface of a part.
    (2) The "use" command from within a sketch is your friend here.  This will project existing geometry onto your new sketch.  It is parametric, meaning that if you edit the geometry upstream, say to make a circle bigger, then your downstream sketch made with a "use" will automatically show the new size.

Feel free to throw up a picture with a hand drawn marking of what you want the feature to look like and I'm sure someone will help.
    Cheers,
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Also, if you create your first extrude as "symmetric" then the front plane will be in the centre of your part.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
  • Options
    Cannon_FodderCannon_Fodder Member Posts: 3
    sorry for the time delay everyone.

Creating a new plane was exactly what i needed.
    Thank you everyone for your time!