Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How can I monitor my students' "learning pathways" or "self-paced courses".

shrekantshrekant Member Posts: 16 EDU
Your learning center is a great place to learn onshape & also provides very good practice materials in the form of videos & workshops. I have recommended the same to my students & many of them have completed the courses with good feedback. 

Is there a way for me to enroll my students under my account so that I can monitor their level of completion & remind them to complete it on time? I might also offer help if they are stuck at some level for long. 

Also, it would be greatly beneficial if they are able to share their progress to companies in a cross verifiable way. Onshape is providing printable certificates but there is no way to verify if these are just photoshopped copies or rewards of genuine work.

Hoping to get help fast. 

Regards

Comments

• KatieHuffmanKatieHuffman Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 194
    @shrekant unfortunately currently there is not a way for you to see where your students are within the courses in the Learning Center, we have thought about this and is something we would like to implement, but currently the priority is more content! As a suggestion, I would recommend having your students turn in their exercise documents as homework to you, by sharing you into them once complete. You could comment within the document to offer feedback or even grade their work if you would like. While the hands-on exercises provide a mass, area, or center of mass to check your work, you might want to dive deeper to look at their modeling strategy. Implementing serial numbers to certificates is also something on our radar, and something we will probably implement within our certification program that we are working on- no ETA on this yet!
  • HS_teacherHS_teacher Member Posts: 1 EDU
    I would also love it if I could monitor my students' progress through the Self-Paced exercises. They are going through the fundamentals, and right now I either have to sit next to each student and have them open every document to verify their completion. Or 34 students have to share 7 documents each with me  :s Neither are a good use of time.  It would be great if I could create a class and monitor progress from one page, like a dashboard. 
  • paul_bunnellpaul_bunnell Member Posts: 25 EDU
    edited January 2020
    My solution has been for students to share their work with me (I like to glance over it anyway, not just see that they "watched" the videos).  To deal with the flood of shared documents they are required to follow a naming template: Status, Last Name, First Name, Assignment.  The "status" is either In Progress or Grade Me, then when I grade the assignment I change the status to either Graded or Fix Errors.  When I sort the documents by name I can then see which ones are ready for me to grade without having to open them.  To find a specific student I do a search. 
    It's worked pretty well. I'm just hopeing OnShape will implement a way to batch unshare documents soon.  Up Vote that feature request here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6288/batch-share-unshare
  • david_kurtzdavid_kurtz Member Posts: 24 EDU
    I moved my CAD classes to Onshape from another platform during the COVID shutdown.  The move has been very smooth and the self-paced courses have been great.  I would love a folder or Status option in teams.  This would help organize shared docs into 'graded', 'in progress', 'needs revision', 'completed', 'needs review/grading' categories.  My list of shared files in Teams is getting large quickly.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    @david_kurtz
    You should be able to create your folders on the home page. 

Then share each folder with the team. 

Now they and you can move your documents around freely
  • david_kurtzdavid_kurtz Member Posts: 24 EDU
    Can files shared with a team members be moved into folders?  I don't have a 'move' option when I right click on the files created by other team members.  Or do students (team members) have to create/move their own documents to the folders?

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    What i did was create a root folder that my company owns. I set the permissions on that.

So anything in the folder will be owned by the company. 

In your case, you should own the folder. And have your students move thier documents in there when they submit them to you. From there anyone with permission can move documents around inside that root folder
  • creed_wattscreed_watts Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Any progress on the OP's original suggestion?
    The workarounds suggested above are ok, but still a hassle. I know that I would use Onshape more in my classroom with this feature. Also, this would be a huge benefit to our FRC team. Being able to easily track the progress of new members through the CAD for Robotics Competition Learning Path would be huge!
  • matthew_mueller537matthew_mueller537 Member Posts: 24 PRO
    @creed_watts another possibility that is newly available (assuming you're working in an Education Enterprise) is Classes & Assignments. Using this new feature, you can use the documents from the learning pathway as starter documents for the assignment type "Students begin with a copy of selected document", then you can track their progress using the built in analytics.

We still have the request to provide learning center and certification data through enterprise analytics on the roadmap, but no immediate plans to implement it.