Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Using the "Sweep" command over multiple line segments.

robert_melascagliarobert_melascaglia Member Posts: 42 EDU
Greetings All

I have created a multi-line segment to ultimately use to sweep a profile across it.  I created the sweep profile at one of the line segments and everything works just fine.

However, when sweeping the profile it creates "one part" although you can see the demarcation lines of the individual line segments.

Question:  How do I change the "one part" to the "multiple parts" that it really is (and should be)?  I realize I can create the "sweep profile" with its own "normal plane" at each line segment, then sweep, and have all the unique parts - but is there an easier way?

Thanks,
Robert

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    Why “should it be” multiple parts?

one sweep = one part

if you create a sweep along the first segment you can create the next sweep using the end face of the previous one and select “New” to create a new part. No extra sketches required. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Why “should it be” multiple parts?  Because I want to define "certain segments" in an assembly and not the entire "one part."
  • Options
    John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 235
    @robert_melascaglia

You have a few options. You could sweep the entire profile as one part and split the part at the desired segments. Or you can sweep an individual profile, use the face of the last sweep as the next profile and so on.  Feel free to post a link to your Document for us to take a look at.

Good Luck!

• Options
    John, very interesting in lieu of creating the three-parts I desired with three sweep commands.  Splitting the "one part" into three - that is what I am after.

Below is a simple wrought iron top rail that I want to "split" into three parts - thanks you for the advise.

• Options
    Thank you John - it worked beautifully, and with just one sweep command.  Something I will not forget.