Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can we carve, emboss on curved surface ( not cylindrical... , but a manually constructed surface )

uniz_agustouniz_agusto Member Posts: 5 EDU
Can we carve, emboss, draw or extrude on a curved surface ( not cylindrical surface ...  , but a manually constructed surface ) ?
Thanks.

Answers

• matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 475 PRO
    @uniz_agusto, I've been wrestling with this same issue.  From what I have seen it is not yet possible to wrap sketches around a non-cylindrical surface in Onshape.

I was able to create a plane tangent to the surface of a cone, sketch on that, and extrude-remove into the cone, but the depth is not uniform (full depth at the center, decreasing to either side).

I would love to see a work-around or software improvement for this.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO

I was able to create a plane tangent to the surface of a cone, sketch on that, and extrude-remove into the cone, but the depth is not uniform (full depth at the center, decreasing to either side).
    Just an extrude with the "up to face" and an offset should cover that case I believe?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9f26ac1fc159944e425ee7b6/v/913cabf2116094a3134756f1/e/429c04fd031f38814365d2d9

Or you could create a surface with the "Offset Surface" feature then extrude up to that.
    Cheers,
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the post and especially the link, Mr. Sparks. I just had a couple of 'I didn't know you could do that - that's cool!' experiences. - Scotty
    edited January 2020
    @robert_scott_jr_
    You're welcome, glad you got something out of it. :+1:
    Owen.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Does anybody know of any "wrap-to-face" features? I know there's a feature to wrap a sketch around a cylinder, but I'm curious if anybody has taken a crack at generalizing it for other surfaces yet.
  • matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 475 PRO
     an extrude with the "up to face" and an offset should cover that case I believe?
    Owen S.
    Thanks Owen,

Extrude-remove, up-to-face, with an offset seems to do the trick nicely.

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited January 2020
    Great discussion as always - just to be clear there are two 'exact' scenarios.

1) Wrap a sketch on a cylindrical face
    2) Project a sketch onto any analytical surface (same as extrude up to face)

Both are supported by Onshape today.

The third scenario is very 'inexact' - 'wrapping' a sketch onto an analytical surface. Imagine the sketch was on a piece of paper.
    There is no way to get the paper to lay flat on the surface without it wrinkling. Any solution therefore is an approximation and we do not support this (because we like things to be exact :)). I am not saying that it cannot be done, only that today we only support the exact cases.

If there is a specific Engineering need, lets talk about what it would take to address :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    @philip_thomas - If we're being precise, the third scenario could really be sub-divided into 3a and 3b, right?

3a - the surface has curvature (not necessarily constant) in one plane (extrude a sin wave as a surface, for example)
    3b - the surface has curvature (not necessarily constant) in more than one plane (a saddle shape or sphere, for example)

Wouldn't 3a have exact solutions? 

I don't have an immediate need for these, but could definitely see the value in it. 
    Those look good! Thanks @konstantin_shiriazdanov
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @tim_hess427

The 3a scenario is fairly easy.
    As an example, you can convert an 'extruded' face to sheet metal and it will work fine
    (Internally, it is classified as GeometryType.EXTRUDED)

Additionally, there are 'cone' faces, which also have an exact solution.
    However, Onshape's sheet metal tool doesn't like them :(
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    Hi folks.

3a would seem to cover any extruded profile would it not?

Personally I have a bunch of products shaped a bit like these that I'd like to wrap decals (self adhesive product labels) around:-

Whilst we're at it I'd also like to be able to sketch on that 3d surface and then extrude that non planar 3D sketch to make the decal in the first place :(

Cheers,
    Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi folks.

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    We do plan on supporting more developable surfaces for both sheet metal and wrap in the future.  Extruded surface is already in sheet metal and will make its way to wrap eventually, and cone will be implemented for both.

Internally, sheet metal flat view and wrap feature are using the same code.

I don't see an IR for it, so maybe someone can make one :)
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team