Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sketch constrains

Could someone tell me how to apply constraints between entities located in two different sketches?

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    You would apply them in the exact same way, however the relationship can only solve in order of creation - or in other words, Sketch 1 can drive entities in Sketch 2 but not the other way around. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited January 2020
    Hi and welcome.

Some will work just fine without doing anything at all.  For example I just used coincident constraint and tangent constraints on geometry on different sketches.  If your geometry isn't happy with that then have a look at the "use" function.  This will project geometry from one sketch to another, which you can then constrain to.

Link to help file:-

used this:- https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/Search.htm?q=use and received no hits.  Is the search inhibiting small words?  I found what I was after another way but only because I already knew what I was looking for.  Could this be tweaked?

Cheers,
    Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd