Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Question about Terms of Use and "automated means to access the Service"

alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
Would creating and using a script to manipulate the Onshape user interface in an assembly (change configuration variables, move/click the mouse to move the model, etc.) count as a violation of "Use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Service, or use any data mining, data gathering or extraction method" in the Terms of Use (section 4.b.ix)?

Because Onshape has an API, I am not sure where the line between "ok" and "not ok" automatic access exists. I don't think the API can currently be used to do what I want, that being to create a program which can automatically and smoothly sweep the model through a sequence of states using configuration variables and take screenshots for each of the sub-states. This would allow, for example, dynamic animations of springs and explode states. It would not involve any reverse engineering whatsoever of any Onshape component, only keyboard and mouse inputs along with screenshots.

I could do this by hand by manually copy/pasting (or typing) values into the configuration variables and moving the mouse, but it would take a while to do it for each model and add the risk of making mistakes and having to re-do the whole process. Therefore, I would like to try to accelerate the process by creating this tool if it is acceptable and within the Terms of Use. It would only be run for a minute or two at a time with manual supervision, never for an extended period of time or without supervision. I am happy to provide and/or open-source any of the code I would use (it would be Java/Processing using the Java Robot system).

Thank you!
Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev

Comments