Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Transform a sketch to another sketching plane

Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
Is it possible to transfer a sketch to another sketching plane so that the related parts also transfer?
Or do I have to copy/past the sketch and build the part new again.
Henk de Vlaam (NL)

Best Answer

• shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Here I give a simple example to show how to change the sketch plane , hope it is useful to you ,please see the attached video.

Answers

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    You should be able to just edit the sketch, and in the little window that pops up select a different support plane or planar surface.
  • shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Here I give a simple example to show how to change the sketch plane , hope it is useful to you ,please see the attached video.
  • Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    Thank you both. Here I see that the feature follows the sketch. With me that was not the case, That's why my question.
    I'll give it a try again.
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)
  • rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    Henk_de_V said:
    Is it possible to transfer a sketch to another sketching plane so that the related parts also transfer?
    Or do I have to copy/past the sketch and build the part new again.
    I would have expected the transform to work on a sketch as well as  on a solid. Unfortunately it seems impossible and I don't understand why. It would be good if Onshape fixed that.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Worth noting that this thread is from 2016 and with an onshape update on average every 3 weeks a few things have moved on since then.

When you say transform do you mean the "transform" feature, or you looking at changing where the sketch is located, or are you looking to make a copy of the sketch elsewhere and leave the original in place?
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    When you say transform do you mean the "transform" feature, or you looking at changing where the sketch is l
    Exactly that is one of the problems. 'transform' should be well defined. Preferably taking anything; sketch, sketch element ... whatever and do the same thing. Specifically it would be useful to rotate a sketch #degrees  transforming as it was a feature.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    OK there are a few ways you can do that. 

(a) Inside the sketch, there is an excellent triad manipulator that translate/rotate functionality.  It'll move whatever is selected, be it one entity or many.  Something people often miss is the center point of the triad can be dragged and snapped onto any geometry.  Powerful little gizmo.
    (b) Again inside the sketch. Next we could just insert some reference geometry and just let the constraints handle the rest.
    (c) Outside the sketch this time.  We can place our initial sketch on a mate connector (think of it as a local coordinate system).  We can rotate that mate as we wish and then the sketch will adopt this as it's own default coordinate system.

Finally it's often not even rotating the sketch in the first place.  We have a parametric feature tree.  We can just build the part and then at the end rotate the solid and not worry about the sketch at all.

Finally we can also project existing geometry onto other sketches, we can cut and past, or we can change which planer face a sketch is on, without losing what we drew.

Shout if any of that doesn't make sense.
    Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd