Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to mate multiple hinges to move in unison?

rob_fieldrob_field Member Posts: 9
I'm working on a a simple sheet metal box with a folded sheet lid the has two butt hinges joining the lid to the box. what I want to know is how to I join it all together with and get everything to move in unison? 
At the moment I have the hinges mated with one half fastened to the end of the pin and the other half revolute to the centre pin then each hinge is fastened to the inside face of the flange on the lid. Where I'm stuck now is how do I mate the other half of the hinges to the box so that both hinges move in unison?

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    Easiest way is to delete one hinge and use linear pattern. Otherwise, try planar mate between the two hinges. If you share your URL somebody will show you!
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    If the doors are opposite eachother (mirror) then you can add a gear relation to your two revolute mates.

Otherwise use a pattern like neil said, or just mate one leaf with fastened mate, and make the other leaf planar to the lid.

There are a bunch of ways to do it, pick one that is easiest for you.
  • Options
    rob_fieldrob_field Member Posts: 9
    The pattern and planar mate seems to have achieved the desired effect. Thank you both.