Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Turning one part into a bunch of smaller parts for 3d printing

jack_mavorjack_mavor Member Posts: 1 EDU
I've designed a stand for my laptop but it's to big for my 3d printer, I'm wanting to cut it into smaller parts with interlocking joint points but i can't work out how to cut up the original part into smaller parts along the joining points I want to make. The only idea I've had so far involves making a bunch of cuts using the "split" tool.

this is the part as it currently looks:

this is the cut I want to make:
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I've designed a stand for my laptop but it's to big for my 3d printer, I'm wanting to cut it into smaller parts with interlocking joint points but i can't work out how to cut up the original part into smaller parts along the joining points I want to make. The only idea I've had so far involves making a bunch of cuts using the "split" tool.

HI @jack_mavor. It looks like a nice design. We work with 3D printing as well. If you make a clean cut of your parts to let them fit your printer, how do you assemble them?
    I found that there is a catch on positioning if you are interested: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/60673/#Comment_60673
  • robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Hello jack_mavor. Based on past experience on fitting 3D printed parts together, I would not print the entire piece(s) as is after the split. I suggest doing two other splits before and after the connection split to render smaller 'test' pieces to print. After printing the 'test' pieces and fitting them together, you may find the need to take .004-.008" of the faces of one of the pieces to acquire the fit that pleases you. That may avoid wasted many hours printing pieces that don't fit. - Scotty