Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I dimension an angled line with a radius to theoretical sharp?

scott_krugerscott_kruger Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
I have an angled line that has a radius at the face of a bore. I am not able to dimension the diameter of the hole created by the angled line in my drawing because of the radius. I have the theoretical sharp point dimensioned in my sketch but I cannot get that dimension to go into my drawing. None of my sketch dimensions will show up in my drawing.

Best Answer

• _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @scott_kruger @pete_yodis

I think I figured out how to get the dimension I wanted.  I just over rode the dimension that was given in the drawing.

It would be great if you could add a note such as TSC (theoretical sharp corner) and even a tolerance but unfortunately after overriding a dimension you can no longer do neither. Please add me to a request to accomplish this.

Thanks
    _Ðave_

Answers

• daniel_splawskidaniel_splawski Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    Is there any chance you could share the model?  I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you're after. 
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    @scott_kruger Is asking for a "virtual sharp" capability in drawings.  It's on our list of things to deliver.

Just don't ask anyone to inspect that dimension on the shop floor with a set of calipers or micrometer :D .
  • scott_krugerscott_kruger Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    daniel_splawski the part in question is public in my account.  Feel free to take a look at what I have going on.
  • scott_krugerscott_kruger Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    I think I figured out how to get the dimension I wanted.  I just over rode the dimension that was given in the drawing.
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @scott_kruger @pete_yodis

It would be great if you could add a note such as TSC (theoretical sharp corner) and even a tolerance but unfortunately after overriding a dimension you can no longer do neither. Please add me to a request to accomplish this.

Thanks
    _Ðave_
  • Stanley_MayerStanley_Mayer Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Dimensions to TSC may seem like a silly thing because they "can't be measured on the shop floor". They are however very import to diemakers and QA persons who understand the importance. 
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    edited March 2020
    @Stanley_Mayer We now have a TSC capability in Onshape drawings.  Shop floor workers might struggle to measure on the shop floor with a caliper or micrometer but not QA professionals with access to a CMM.  We are not in any way negating the need for this.  I have seen TSC over used in design and manufacturing, however.  We do not yet support TSC to intersections of arcs, but have it in our plans.  Is this what you are looking for?  
  • Stanley_MayerStanley_Mayer Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Dimensions to TSC may seem like a silly thing because they "can't be measured on the shop floor". They are however very import to diemakers and CNC programmers. I have seen GD&T overused as well and I think it still should be a tool in my toolbelt.