Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can I relate a dimension to another?

Example:

the vertical side of a rectangle must be the half of the horizontal so that when I change the horizontal dimension the vertical one will change automatically 

Thanks for your support

Best Answers

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Check out variables
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    Answer ✓
    For simple divisions like half. you can just use geometry instead of a variable.

here you see i created a construction line, made it equal the short edge, then constrained the end point to the mid point of the long edge.

Answers

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Check out variables
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    Answer ✓
    For simple divisions like half. you can just use geometry instead of a variable.

here you see i created a construction line, made it equal the short edge, then constrained the end point to the mid point of the long edge.

• Options
    francesco_longonifrancesco_longoni Member Posts: 3
    thanks 

I will use your suggestion for this simple action.
    In my case I prefer to use variables, I probably made the wrong example to simplify my question.

Thank a lot for the support.