Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Modern CAM. Finally?

Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
We now have modern CAD software, Onshape! This is awesome.

I have searched all over for modern innovative 5 axis CAM software. It doesn't exist...

Please let us know if you have found it. Everything we find does not use the 2018 computers calculation skills like it should. 

Comments

• Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can test the CAM apps in the App Store https://appstore.onshape.com/
    There are a few ones integrated with Onshape
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    I'd recommend looking at VisuaCAMc. It is the only built from scratch, professional cloud based CAM App in existence. They are starting with 2.5 - 3 axis. However you can expect 4 and 5 axis to follow. 
    Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    We are still searching. Most software is copy paste from old programming techniques. Nothing close to Onshape.
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    Have you looked at SprutCAM?  It's not cloud-based, but does integrate with Onshape and they just released a new version (version 12).
  • Options
    chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭

@cache_river_millworks

I use Onshape for design, then export models as either Solidworks or Parasolid formats to a Dropbox location.  Then I use Fusion360 (cloud based) to import the exported file (or files).  Excellent CAM results from there.  Fusion360 uses HSMWorks CAM functionality. 

I personally do not have 5 axis capability, but I believe Fusion360 can output 5 Axis Code.

Of course you lose parametric capability by this method but I can work around this if I need changes by going back to Onshape, implement changes and repeat the export/import routine.  Sometimes I simply implement small changes in Fusion360 itself. 

If only Onshape had fully integrated CAM capability like Fusion360, I would switch entirely to Onshape.
  • Options
    @chisjh777

VisualCAMc is an Integrated Cloud App. And it is fully associative. change the part, toolpaths update. And your CAM is version controlled. 

VisualCAMc is a fully cloud based production level CAM application for Onshape

This powerful application includes production ready tools and functionality for programming Milling CNC centers. VisualCAMc includes functionality for 2 ½ Axis, 3 Axis and 3+2 Axis milling functionality that is ideal for mold, die and tooling, wood working, production rapid-prototyping, education and general machining markets

Features of this product include:

• Fully cloud based – no downloads required
    • Runs as a tab inside the Onshape environment
    • Browser interface allows use from any computer, anytime, and from anywhere
    • Uses MecSoft’s industry proven, production level CAM technology
    • Includes thirteen separate 2 ½ Axis machining methods, such as Facing, Pocketing, Profiling and V-Carving
    • Includes five separate 3 Axis machining methods, such as Z-Level Roughing, Finishing, Parallel Finishing
    • Includes 3+2 Axis machining, allowing for 5 Axis indexed machining from different orientations
    • Includes four separate Hole Making Axis machining methods, such as Drilling, Tapping and Boring
    • Select from hundreds of free post-processors
  • Options
    chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the heads up. 

I was aware of VisualCAM.  Unfortunately, I don't think is can handle CNC Lathes.  I use both mills and lathes. 
  • Options
    Gotcha. Pretty sure you will see that soon. The product is going to go all the way up to 5 axis simultaneous.  If you were to look at their Desktop App, its a relatively good roadmap as to where they are going with VisualCAMc.

• Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    SprutCAM can do lathes and 5th axis continuous as well as robots, welders, and even painting.  A widget for it is available in the Onshape app store.

@joe_dunne - are you aware of any Onshape customers that use SprutCAM?  I use it for 3-axis milling and turning but mostly as a hobbyist.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Yes there are Onshape users, using SprutCAM. However the the Onshape user base is looking for cloud based solutions.  Desktop based solutions seem to have a harder time getting Onshape users attention.  Suffice to say VisualCAMc is seeing the benefit of having a true cloud based CAM App.  
  • Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    We use Esprit.  It’s a big expensive CAM package.  
    I would not recommend it. 
    Fusion 360 cam package is really nice and getting better and better.  They are merging all of the Declam products into fusion (Power mill, Feature CAM, part maker etc). 

I just don’t see Onshape having a native CAM solution anytime in the next 5 years....I could be wrong.   

I think Onshape is more focused towards the engineering firm market and fusion is more focused towards the manufacturer.  

I will say there are tremendous benefits of integrated CAD / CAM for a manufacturer.  We are using fusion as our CAM solution more and more frequently.
    We even use fusion for simple 5 axis positioning now.  
  • Options
    Cedric_EveleighCedric_Eveleigh Member, OS Professional, csevp Posts: 61 PRO
    Any chance that we'll be seeing fully functional, integrated CAM in Onshape sometime soon? I currently use Onshape for CAD and Fusion 360 for CAM. I would love to no longer use Fusion 360 CAM and suffer with its lack of integration with Onshape CAD, but right now, Fusion 360 CAM is the only affordable and fully functional option that's available to me. (VisualCAMc is not fully functional; for example, it lacks simultaneous 5 axis functionality.)
  • Options
    I will speak for all of us here. We are looking for CAM software that is as innovative as Onshape. This means that it will be completely different from normal CAM software.

If anyone is making this, please contact me if you need any help. I would love to help and be apart of this revolutionary CAM software.
  • Options
    christopher_dziubachristopher_dziuba Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    @Cache_River_Mill I am currently working on a CAM / Nester integration for Onshape (starting with woodworking industry then expanding). However I am on my own, I lack a lot of knowledge required to complete an MVP at this time and most importantly I am working part time as a setout so I can't give it my full attention.

But I have design's , Ive started creating featurescripts that'll complement the app and I am fully commited to this. Email me: chris@dzigninnovations.com.au if you'd like to discuss. Any help I can get I will take.
  • Options
    poulsonepoulsone Member Posts: 23 PRO
    is VisualCAMc dead? it seems to be gone from the app store and from https://mecsoft.com/