Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - April 17th, 2020

Roy_MutalikRoy_Mutalik Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 33
edited April 2020 in New in Onshape
Three more weeks have come and gone, so it's time for another release of Onshape!

Let's take a look at some of the improvements.

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

MAKE TRANSPARENT

You may now make parts temporarily transparent. This makes it much easier to work on internal components without having to fully hide exterior casings, etc.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/prxq9r8zf4

This feature is available in both Part Studios and Assemblies. You may also make surfaces, curves and meshes transparent the same way.
A new keyboard shortcut Shift + T has also been added to allow you to quickly add components to transparency.

Making parts transparent is a per-user operation so it will not disturb other users that may be working in the same assembly in the way that "hide" would.

SPLIT MULTI-BODY PART FILES INTO MULTIPLE DOCUMENTS ON IMPORT

You'll find improved options when importing multi-body part files, allowing you to split the bodies into individual Onshape documents.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/zn2u3s441z

This works for CAD neutral formats (STEP, IGES, Parasolid, etc.) as well as native (.sldprt, etc.).

CHANGE CONFIGURATION FROM SHEETS PANEL

You'll now find a right-click option to change the configuration of a part or assembly from the sheets panel in an Onshape Drawing. 

Similar to the Replace feature, if Change configuration is invoked from the "Sort by sheet" tab, it will only change the configuration for that specific parent-child stack of references. If it is invoked from the "Sort by reference" tab, it will change the configuration for all references on the drawing (including views on other sheets). 

RELEASE MANAGEMENT IMPROVEMENTS

INDICATION OF RELEASE-FROM-VERSION IN RELEASE CANDIDATE DIALOG

Last release included an improvement that allowed you to create a Release candidate from an existing version in a document. You'll now clearly see a version icon in the Release candidate dialog when an element in the Release candidate is selected from a version, rather than the workspace.

This is particularly useful if your Release candidate contains a mix of elements from both the workspace and a previous version, as shown above.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    The transparent view is super handy. Thanks!
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • EricGauthierEricGauthier Member Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    Make transparent? YES!!! :)
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    YES! Transparency without  changing the part properties.
    I'm guessing you copy/pasted the code for isolate and changed which parts got added to the ghost list eh? :wink:

I'd prefer it was able to be sustained without the dialogue being open. But this works pretty well also, I'll get used to it. (just need to avoid hitting esc! I still hit that 3 or 4 times trying to unselect a part!) Stupid spacebar deselection... I still want to slap the S#!t out of who ever came up with that!

Once you give us keybinding you know I'm changing spacebar to esc..  how would this affect a dialog box like this? Could you make this a little less volatile? or get rid of the keybind?

Thanks!
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Make transparent is a nice improvements.Good Work. 

@john_mcclary spacebar is soon much better than esc, once you drop those old CAD habits you'll learn to love it.  ;)  by habits i mean the complete package, I know, not your choice. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    edited April 2020
    Problem is half the time Onshape uses esc correctly. So still need it bound on my mouse. Then the other half of the time i'm in autocad or solidworks.

That and i have esc bound to a mouse button. So muscle memory is so deep it may as well be tatooed on my brain
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job. I love the option to change the configuration from the sheets panel
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @john_mcclary

The running name for Make Transparent on the dev side was just Reverse Isolate :sweat_smile:

The User Experience people eventually caught on and said we weren't allowed to name it that
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    LoL

Kinda figured 👍
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Transparency, finaly!
  • Ján_ZápražnýJán_Zápražný Member Posts: 6 PRO
    transparent finaly thanks
  • Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Great improvements!
    Would love to see a video for release updates that involve complex topics such as release management improvements.
    Thanks!
  • AlexPittAlexPitt Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Thank you! All nice improvements. Especially the transparency/reverse-isolate! Just tried it; works brilliantly!  :)
  • frank_poggiofrank_poggio Member Posts: 1
    Great job with the transparency! Just what we had asked for!
  • parviz_aghayarov072parviz_aghayarov072 Member Posts: 7 EDU
    transparent good addition)
  • left_sideleft_side Member Posts: 10 PRO
    Yes, transparent part options!  PERFECT!
  • 東_鈺東_鈺 Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2020
    There is no new function to input Chinese on the graph. Hope to add ...

• BMcGaffeyBMcGaffey Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Transparency! Awesome update
  • sid_nairsid_nair Member Posts: 5
    The transparency feature is great :smile:
    Well done guys.
    But another cool thing would be to have the option to change specific surface colours. 
  • Josiah_HarthcockJosiah_Harthcock Member Posts: 54 PRO
    Yay, transparency! Thanks guys!
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aquí podéis ver la novedades en Español
    https://youtu.be/VPdJtIYeero
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    Onshape is Amazing! 

Thank you team! 
  • bill_raynerbill_rayner OS Professional Posts: 34 PRO
    Very nice! Particularly Invisibility and full-feature import.

Thanks for not only continuing to respond to, or anticipate our needs, but also inventing elegant solutions as a FIRST iteration.
  • Roy_MutalikRoy_Mutalik Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 33
    Theo_R said:
    Great improvements!
    Would love to see a video for release updates that involve complex topics such as release management improvements.
    Thanks!
    Thanks for the feedback, Theo. It's a great point.

Even though some of the Release management improvements are "smaller changes", the use cases can be more complex, and often are less apparent immediately. Our team will be sure to add videos for these in the future when possible, as well as provide a better context.
  • Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Thanks @Roy_Mutalik!
  • turan_aydinturan_aydin Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Face color pleeese !!!
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @turan_aydin

Your wish is our command
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    So all this time, we just needed @turan_aydin to ask politely... lol ;p