Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Where is the Measurement tool in Part Studio?

tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
edited May 2020 in Product Feedback
This support post: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/measure-ps.htm suggests that all you have to do is select a part in Part Studio and you will see some measurements in the bottom right corner of the browser window UI, with a disclosure control to see a popup with even more info.

I'm running OnShape on a small mac laptop (13") and cannot see any measurement info whatsoever in the bottom-right corner of the screen. I just checked on my larger Mac Laptop in Chrome and still not seeing anything. There IS a "balance" icon for toggling the Mass properties, but that doesn't contain basic dimensioning information like width, height etc. The sketches are not useful to me in this particular case because I've transformed things and extended surfaces, so the sketches don't tell the full story.

What am I missing? Is there an option I have to toggle on somewhere?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Tom

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    If you select only an edge, you should see the length of the edge; if you select a face, you should see the area of that face; if you select two points, you'll see the distance between the points, etc. 

Inded! Thanks Tim. I guess I was hoping for a way to see the BOUNDING BOX dimensions of a number of selected parts. I tried the two vertices approach, but it just gave me the diagonal distance between those points. I guess there's no way to do what I want - perhaps creating a Drawing might give me what I need?
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    When you select to vertices, you can get get the distance in X,Y, and Z directions by clicking on the little triangle icon to expand a little window with additional information.

In the event that you select an arc or circular feature, this will also break out distances to the center of the hole as well as min and max distance conditions. 
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO