Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Tips and Tricks 2020

john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
edited May 2020 in General
I every so often remember that Onshape is a web browser app (quite a feat on Onshape's part to make that less apparent than one would think). Meaning you can use the builtin browser tools like find (ctrl+f)

Pretty obvious, but very easy to forget.

Couple this with a recent update (select BOM row by selecting item in tree) and you can get pretty efficient at sorting (requires you to have been intelligent with your part naming though :)
It is nice when all of the names in the tree start blending in with one another to have that colorful highlight. and a simple counter on the find bar tells you how many instances and will let you scroll to that spot.

Simple and obvious but I figure this could be helpful to forgetful people like me, or new comers who are still getting their feet wet in Onshape.

Comments

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    love it! I find myself wishing for a search bar at the top of my Assemblies like the filter on the feature list, but this will do pretty well for that. I suppose it won't work to find nested parts in subassemblies, but still super handy, and I hadn't thought of it.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    Yea it can only search what is currently on the screen, tried to see if it would poll from all layers of the tree and drawing sheet references but no luck there 
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    That's a great tip John, keep'm coming.