Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Configure Part Name Feature?

Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
edited June 2020 in Community Support
Does anyone have a custom feature for naming parts? We would like to configure the name of the part with an input variable. Configuring the name through the properties does not work for this application.

Best Answer

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    edited June 2020 Answer ✓
    I actually worked on one for that too. It's here. To give credit where it's due, I started by copying one by @NeilCooke
     (yet again) and modifying it only a tiny bit. Check his out here. I'd eventually like to find a way to toggle each field between a string or an equation, but for now, the prefix and suffix are strings and the segments are type "Any" meaning they can do calculations. It can also assign the part number if that's useful.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Answers

• Options
    edited June 2020 Answer ✓
    I actually worked on one for that too. It's here. To give credit where it's due, I started by copying one by @NeilCooke
     (yet again) and modifying it only a tiny bit. Check his out here. I'd eventually like to find a way to toggle each field between a string or an equation, but for now, the prefix and suffix are strings and the segments are type "Any" meaning they can do calculations. It can also assign the part number if that's useful.
  • Options
    You and Neil are so helpful. Thank you again!

• Options
    It will not give me access to the first link. Perhaps it's private? @Evan_Reese
  • Options
    It will not give me access to the first link. Perhaps it's private? @Evan_Reese
    my bad I just made it public. give it a go now.
  • Options
    Excellent.