Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

dimensions parallel to other angles

otaolafrotaolafr Member Posts: 113 EDU
hello,
I was trying to indicate dimensions in a trimetric view, but I can not get to put the dimension parallel to the view to be more graphic: 2.7 mm is the dimension i am measuring and what i would like to indicate is "A" that I fabricated manually from 2 points center line, note and line commands:

I am looking to know if it is possible to do something like this with the dimension command or if at least it could be done manually as what I used for the example the line under the A is not parallel to the size of the cube (and does not have the end arrows).
Best regards,
franco

Answers

• otaolafrotaolafr Member Posts: 113 EDU
    hello steve, i undesrtand why it shows "2.7" and not the "correct" value, as it shows what is in the view, i can live with that, as it can be overwrited as neil mentioned in the post, my issue is that the dimension tool does not allow me to be positioned as "A" even with the wrong value it would be more than enougth (as i will overwrite them with leters, A,B,C for each side)
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @Otaola_Franco

In the meantime, there is a workaround that will give you the correct dimension and it will put the dimension line at the angle that you want also. It’s not a perfect work around. But there is something that gives you the correct dimension at the correct angle.

Did you take a look at the PDF ?

@Otaola_Franco

In the meantime, there is a workaround that will give you the correct dimension and it will put the dimension line at the angle that you want also. It’s not a perfect work around. But there is something that gives you the correct dimension at the correct angle.

Did you take a look at the PDF ?

yes, I read all the comments also saw the PDF, but I was looking for maybe a workaround where i could have in the right position but with a wrong dimension that I could rewrite after. 
  • romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    You could make the "dimension" callout as a composite part, using curves and surfaces (to give your leader lines and "A") in the correct plane in your Part Studio. Then when you show the composite part in the drawing, it will be in the correct orientation (parallel with the top surface of the cube in your example)....You might even be able to use a FeatureScript to be able to make the dimension text be derived from the measured distance between the two vertices of your box.

You could make the "dimension" callout as a composite part, using curves and surfaces (to give your leader lines and "A") in the correct plane in your Part Studio. Then when you show the composite part in the drawing, it will be in the correct orientation (parallel with the top surface of the cube in your example)....You might even be able to use a FeatureScript to be able to make the dimension text be derived from the measured distance between the two vertices of your box.

we had the same idea! or at least the principle, what I finished doing, was:
    1.create curves in the part
    2.create a composite part with my parts and the curves
    3. print the part without showing the curves.
    4. put the composite part with transparence 100%
    5. erase everything from the drawing except for the composite part
    6. exported in pdf
    7. open the png (step 3.) and the pdf (step 6.) in inkscape
    8. use the curves in the pdf to be able to create vector lines in inkscape
    9. superposed the pdf and created vectors with the png
    10. erase the pdf figure
    11. exported en png the original png + the created vectors and indications
    not perfect solution but it gave me the reason to begin the learning of inkscape at the same time ^^
    best regards!