Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can Parts be trimed with an extrusin in an Assembly?

nicholas_woodnicholas_wood Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
Can a sketch be created in an assembly and be then used as an extrusion to trim/cut through parts? If not, how can this be done?
Tagged:

Comments

• fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 134 PRO
    No, not directly. You can use a sketch in a part studio where you have those parts, and then use Boolean to trim/cut through parts. Probably this is where edit in context could help you make the sketch in the right location: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/in-context.htm?
  • Ryan_McClellandRyan_McClelland Member Posts: 26 PRO
    Yes, this is a difference from Creo. The solutions are edit in context, as mentioned above, or to create the two parts in the same part studio, and make the cut there. The merge scope of the cut feature can select whatever parts you want.
  • nicholas_woodnicholas_wood Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Thanks for your response.

I am trying to trime the items below to top surface of eth timber frame.
    The parts are in a liner patern and when I right click on each of them, I cant see the "design in context" function.

• fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 134 PRO
    Thanks for your response.

I am trying to trime the items below to top surface of eth timber frame.
    The parts are in a liner patern and when I right click on each of them, I cant see the "design in context" function.

You can only always edit a single part in context. For your project, I would make the linear pattern in the part studio, not in the assembly.
    Then there is no need for design in context. See V2 of this document: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/84dc89e577566f3cce476918/v/f4212a63393ce720965acd1b/e/52eacbc8c5545b358bb6c77a

(V1 has the assembly pattern, but no cut)