Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Cockeyed parts - Methods for viewing imported components not positioned or aligned

bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
edited August 2020 in Using Onshape
Here is an outline of tips &  tricks for viewing parts in true part alignment.  It is a common challenge for us so we put together the outline and videos which I will post next.  Not the only way for sure and will be glad to hear feedback.  Hope it helps!  - Bruce

PDF outline - https://cad.onshape.com/documents/525e74d35861a288dbf3b1b7/w/1de201cd7d15580088e21c88/e/3b98872cca8048e028b7d968
www.accuratepattern.com

Comments

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    edited August 2020
    www.accuratepattern.com
    www.accuratepattern.com
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    edited August 2020
    For parts that come in weird, I usually use a transform by mate connectors (rather than translate and rotate transforms) to get it to the origin. I haven't had any issues with losing associativity through that method. If you need the part to be in the same position, you can create a mate connector on it for the initial transform and use that to reverse the transform in the end. Here's a demo document: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/534a075d583497e24058caae/v/cb5a9e08ad872bed7c174552/e/53b6b0e7627e156a03afd5a6

End transform result:

Nice and aligned for editing:

Nice videos by the way! I learned some good tips and tricks for using named views and mate connectors.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
    edited August 2020
    @alnis_smidchens
    Thanks for the comments and example.  Yes, moving with Translation by Mate connectors is often a good option.  We have decided to keep imported positon so we always have World & Part coordinates.  It creates challenges yet we need to stay consistent and there are advantages.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    I always like seeing other people's workflows. Thanks for sharing!
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
    @Evan_Reese
    And I appreciate all the info & work you have contributed to forums and FS code & icons.   Being connected to Onshape and the community is a real blessing.  I learned about Loom here (from you I think) and it is a nice tool for videos.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited August 2020
    @bruce_williams Added the PDF....
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    @Evan_Reese
    And I appreciate all the info & work you have contributed to forums and FS code & icons.   Being connected to Onshape and the community is a real blessing.  I learned about Loom here (from you I think) and it is a nice tool for videos.
    Thanks, Bruce. The forum really is pretty great. It's nuts to be able to ask a miscellaneous question and get a number of high-quality answers on the same day. Glad you're digging Loom. Showing is so much better than telling when it comes to CAD (and most things).
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
    thanks to @lougallo adding my PDF outline to sample document on the OP!

I added an example 'Cockeyed' part with MCs & Named views to the document.
    www.accuratepattern.com
    Playing with this I noticed Named views keeps the section arrow open - that is handy.

www.accuratepattern.com