Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is it possible to have an imported image that was inserted into a sketch appear in an assembly?

StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
I want to use a image to help determine the location for the brackets to mount a bicycle rack to the rear cargo door.

Part Studio sketch with inserted image

Same sketch inserted into an assembly. Image is not shown.

I also noticed sketch images do not show in drawings either. 

Answers

• Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    There currently isn't a way to show an image in an assembly as far as I know. However, in your use case, I believe it may be a better option to design the mount/attachment/bicycle rack within one part studio. If you will have multiple, inter-related parts, its a good idea to design them within the same part studio.

If you'll be assembling pre-fab parts based on the image, you can add mate connectors to the sketch within its part studio and mate directly to the sketch in the assembly (or you can skip making explicit mate connectors and use implicit ones on-the-fly in the assembly). Then, you can create an in-context part studio to design any custom parts connecting the brackets.

Can you maybe post a napkin drawing of what you're trying to do? That might help with finding modeling/design strategies for your project.

You can vote for this improvement request to bump decals/images up the priority list (it seems close to what you want to do):
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/2718/decals-or-images-as-skins-on-solid-faces-or-surfaces
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I also think just designing your parts in the same part study may be the best approach. There are couple of other options you may want to take a look at as alternatives:
    1. Use more construction geometry to just add more features to your layout sketch - go ahead and figure out whatever reference information you need from the image and go ahead and trace those in your sketch so that you don't need the image anymore. 
    2. If you can't take the image into your assembly, do as much as you can with the assembly, and then use an in-context modeling to bring the assembly references back into the part studio that contains the image. 
    I'll second what Alnis said as well - if you're able, providing a little more detail about what exactly you need the image for might help others here suggest a good modeling strategy.