Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New Video Tutorial: 31 Sketch tips and tricks

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
I finally got around to finishing up a tips and tricks tutorial all about sketching. Give it a watch and let me know if you didn't learn anything. It's just under 20 minutes even though I felt like I moved fairly quickly. There's just so much to cover!
https://youtu.be/Nw1nR_8PIFI
Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Thanks Evan, this is awesome. Midpoint with 3 points - I did not know that but will definitely use it.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    nice! if even the great and powerful @NeilCooke didn't know one of them, y'all gotta watch it!

I imagine the midpoint constraint was made possible by the devs for the sole purpose of creating the centerpoint rectangle without construction lines for the diagonals. Just a guess.
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Very nice!
    I learned several new things too - so nice to see how others work with tools.
    Thanks
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Thx Evan. Picked up a couple things from video.
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    Only watched a few minutes so far but learned a couple things and will be back to finish watching.
  • matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 475 PRO
    I failed the challenge.  I didn't-not learn anything.  <Shift> to disable automatic sketch constraints was my favorite.  I also liked the click-and-drag, instead of click-start/click-end to create discrete entities.

Great tips.  Thanks!
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great video @Evan_Reese
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • mark_leichlitermark_leichliter Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Very informative vid, Evan. I'm not having time to mess with Onshape much currently, but this will prove a valuable resource when I can.
  • robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Thank you. Just love to learn new methods in Onshape; love to add tools to my toolbox. - Scotty
    I'm so glad to hear that people are picking things up from the video!
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @Evan_Reese

Lots of great stuff!  Going to plug this into our training; as you say something for newbies to strive for and old dogs to learn new tricks. 

I really appreciate your ID background. The equal look to radii and working with conic is cool. 

And I too did not know midpoint worked on points - as they say across the pond 'BRILLIANT'!

btw I am late with this cuz had vacation last week.  Watched it 2x but too kicked back to reply.   :D
    www.accuratepattern.com
    @Evan_Reese

Lots of great stuff!  Going to plug this into our training; as you say something for newbies to strive for and old dogs to learn new tricks. 

I really appreciate your ID background. The equal look to radii and working with conic is cool. 

And I too did not know midpoint worked on points - as they say across the pond 'BRILLIANT'!

btw I am late with this cuz had vacation last week.  Watched it 2x but too kicked back to reply.   :D
    Thanks, Bruce! 2 times through already. nice!
    edited September 2020
    By the way, if anyone here is up for it, will you drop comments like these on the video itself? It will let Youtube know that people are interested in it, which should help it be seen more, which makes it more worth producing more videos, and so on until I eventually take over the world or whatever.
  • Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Great video @Evan_Reese
    Item 24 sketch on face picking up unwanted geometry, my go to was the hide the part/body and then extrude.
    Learned more than a few things. Thank you.
    Theo_R said:
    Great video @Evan_Reese
    Item 24 sketch on face picking up unwanted geometry, my go to was the hide the part/body and then extrude.
    Learned more than a few things. Thank you.
    Awesome! glad to hear it. With the sketch face thing it doesn't have anything to do with what's visible at the time that I'm aware of. You could create an empty sketch on a face, then hide the body and you'll still see the sketch face there selectable. My example was a bit forced though. If i'd just picked the sketch from the feature tree it would have worked as desired since Onshape sees that I just had one sketch object so I probably just want the regions internal to it. However, I'd still never sketch directly on a face that complex, just for the performance reason, even if the results were identical.