Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Assembly Dimensions

jayson_englandjayson_england Member Posts: 6 PRO
I need some help. I am trying to assemble parts in the assembly view. I am trying to make a metal basket and I have to place supports 10 inches apart. I am trying to figure out how to tell onshape that I want to put each tube and center it on 10 inches, 16 inches, and 26 inches. OR how do I "mark" it when I am making the part? Not sure if this make sense or not. 

Comments

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

You can make a sketch in parts studio and then bring it into the assembly and use that to position your parts

edited September 2020
    @jayson_england

You can also use the Linear Pattern tool in the assembly

edited September 2020
    @jayson_england

You can also move the location of mates

Here I used the Fasten Mate function to connect the green cube to the corner of the gray cuboid

Then, I adjusted (moved) the location of the mate to be OF THE CORNER of the gray cuboid, which in turn moved the green cube

@jayson_england

If you want to change the distance of one part to the other within the assembly, 

1. you could use the in-context editing command to alter the sketch

or

2. you could select the part studio tab and edit your sketch

Doing either of the above, will change the location of the parts WITHIN THE ASSEMBLY, as the parts are mated to the sketch