Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Meta Sculpt Surface Modeling Tool

neobobkrauseneobobkrause Member Posts: 105 EDU
I've developed a surface sculpting script called Meta Sculptwhich is based on the excellent Sculpt Face feature by @maximilian_schommer. Meta Sculpt allows users to sculpt a surface face by adjusting the underlying surface using point and arrow manipulators or editable/configurable field values. Multiple points are selected and deselected by clicking on them. Arrows can be used to move selected points. To keep the display simple, only arrows at the last selected point are shown, though all arrows can optionally be shown. Movement of points can snap to an optional distance quantum. Surface sculpting changes are presented as a set of "actions," where an action is the change made to a set of points. The set of points and the offsets in each dimension are editable, and support both equations and configurations. A  short documentation PDF is included in a tab of the Meta Sculpt feature document.

The screenshot below shows the top face of a cylinder being sculpted using two actions. The first action raises two selected points [0,2] up an inch. The second action lowers point [1] by 1.5 inches.

- Bob

Comments

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    I like the idea that the sequence of actions will behave like the ordered parametric Feature List we use outside the feature. I'd expect also, that because it will solve in order, we can achieve different Sculpt results by reordering the actions.

Looking forward to trying it out.
  • neobobkrauseneobobkrause Member Posts: 105 EDU
    @romeograham

A good suggestion. I just made a quick change to allow actions to be reordered.
    I just updated the Meta Sculpt feature to allow users to select more than one face to be sculpted. This is particularly useful when sculpting the sides of a polygon and so forth. There has also been an ever so slight update of the documentation to reflect this new feature.

- Bob
  • Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    edited September 2020
    @neobobkrause

Thank you for this update!

Is there a chance you can update this so that the sculpt by reference will work with it? 

edited September 2020
    I punked in the current version on sculpting by reference support and a few other key features. Let me take another swipe at updating the feature.

Any other feedback or suggestions based on experience using Meta Sculpt?

- Bob
    Thank you @neobobkrause !

As far as more feedback, it would be nice to be able to drag the manipulators in two directions at once. Similar to if you the manipulators on the transform feature. 

Dragging in one direction at a time can be really time consuming. As well as sculpting without a reference.

Cache_River_Mill!

OnShape is great, right? But one of my (many) frustrations with the tool is the dearth of FS support for direct manipulation. One of the first on my list, I would love for point and linear manipulators to get a major upgrade. The system is really held back by the lack of this type of support. (Not the least of which would be 3D sketches!) As you suggest, users should be able to simply click and drag points without being constrained by the presentation and use of arrows. But that's out of my hands at this point. Speak up if you feel similarly.

I got a little bit of time this past weekend to begin researching sculpting by reference and re-familiarizing myself with the Meta Sculpt code base. I'm thinking that the best user experience would be to toss out the separate selections of U and V splines. Instead, sculpt by reference will allow a single collection of splines and points. A point will be added at the intersection of any of the splines in the selection. Each element of the resulting point set will be manipulable.

Now all I need to do is carve out a long enough chunk of time to work out the details and code it up. It's on my to-do list, but I ask for patience.

- Bob
    I'm new to featurescript, but yes, being able to have more manipulator control while programming would be great.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this Bob. The is no hurry!
    Cache_River_Mill, I like what you're doing with OnShape. You're pushing the tool in the right directions. You're making molds, right?
    We make everything, but mostly custom wood products and furniture.