Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - September 15th, 2020

Roy_MutalikRoy_Mutalik Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 33
edited October 2020 in New in Onshape
We've already reached the middle of September! I hope you all continue to stay safe and well.

Let's take a look at some of the improvements to Onshape in this release.

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

MATE DETAILS TOOLTIP

A new mate details tooltip is available when mousing-over a mate or mate connector feature in the features list.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/m3ule6xusm

SECTION VIEW OF A SECTION VIEW

You may now create a new section view, defined from an existing section view in a drawing.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/lk26w7dqbq

AUTOMATICALLY SUPPRESS MATES

A mate will now automatically be suppressed if a part used to define that mate is suppressed. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/quuxsx2u8v

Mate Connectors will also be suppressed automatically if their owner part is suppressed.

PROPERTIES FOR VERSIONS AND WORKSPACES

You may now create custom properties for an entire version or workspace in a document. This is useful for capturing metadata that might apply to all of the tabs, such as a project number or job type.

In order to set up this type of field, you'll need to add the properties you create to a Category which has "Versions" and/or "Workspaces" set as the scope.

For more information on Categories, make sure to visit the help documentation!

FOLLOW MODE SHOWS DIALOGS

When following another Onshape user using 'follow mode' you will now see the dialogs for any sketches or features they edit within a Part Studio.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/3ifqqjlywp

3D FIT SPLINE FOR MODEL AND SKETCH EDGES

A new option has been introduced in the 3D Fit Spline feature allowing for the selection of model and sketch edges. It converts these multiple edges into a single curve.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/gx3kzttnop

PARASOLID UPDATE

Onshape's underlying kernel, Parasolid, has been updated to V33. This provides you with the latest advancements in geometry, and allows you to export the latest format.

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

GLOBAL PERMISSION FOR CREATE DOCUMENTS AND FOLDERS IN MY ONSHAPE

A new Global Permission has been added, allowing administrators to control which users of an Enterprise can create documents at the My Onshape page. If this permission is not allowed, a user will only be able to create documents or folders within folders to which they have the appropriate permissions.

BROWSE PUBLIC DOCUMENTS FROM AN ENTERPRISE

You can now easily browse through public documents, even when signed in to an Enterprise domain. 

Data created in and owned by the Enterprise cannot be made public even if a user has share permissions, so your data is still always secure. Enabling the public filter in an Enterprise simply makes it easier for user to copy data into the Enterprise for use, such as public custom features, vendor or supplier models, or even training materials.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• david_bornsteindavid_bornstein Member Posts: 6 PRO
    Awesome update!! Thanks!
  • Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Automatically Suppress Mates -Thank you!!
    Follow Mode Show Dialog
    Global Permission

All useful thanks
  • JollyJolly Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Automatically suppress mates??  YES PLEASE! 

Also, follow improvements is great! Will certainly use.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    mate suppression, show dialogues in follow mode, and the edges in the fit spline are it for me. nice!
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • matthijs_kok997matthijs_kok997 Member Posts: 2
    I really like the follow mode. Great job!
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    The mates and dialogues are good.

What does this mean in the changelog: REST API: Add rollback bar to EvalFeatureScript endpoint
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • gerhard_swanepoelgerhard_swanepoel Member Posts: 29 PRO
    Some handy improvements. "Auto" mate suppress, section on section and follow mode is really helpful.
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great improvements, all very helpful

Automatic mate suppression will simplify a lot assembly configurations
    Properties in Workspaces and versions are great, but we can't use it linked in a drawing note (like in the titleblock)

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    The mates and dialogues are good.

What does this mean in the changelog: REST API: Add rollback bar to EvalFeatureScript endpoint
    Hi MBartlett21,

When calling the evaluate FeatureScript endpoint (`/partstudios/d/:did/[wvm]/:wvm/e/:eid/featurescript`) it now accepts a query param to indicate where the rollback bar should be evaluated to, ex. `?rollbackBarIndex=0` will rollback the entire feature list.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • HuguesLessardWRIHuguesLessardWRI Member Posts: 14 PRO
    Mate Detail Tooltip is a great addition, but would be even nicer if it showed the name of components assigned to the mate. For a simple model as the cylinder, you can easily visualize them in the 3D model, but when having an intricate design, with lots of components bunched together, it quickly becomes harder to distinguish which components are mated together.

As @john_mcclary pointed, it would also be great to have a visual cue of which mates has been suppressed together with the suppression of a part or ass'y.

Altogether, these improvements are very welcomed.
    Hugues Lessard
    Ingénieur de produits / Product Engineer
    Waste Robotics Inc. / www.wasterobotic.com

• BMcGaffeyBMcGaffey Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Great stuff OS team. The mate improvements will be a blessing for building configured assemblies. 

Cheers! 
  • don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 138 PRO
    edited September 2020
    I'm still going to press for a better Instances Tree structure in assemblies.  My scrolling finger is getting sore from having to scroll so much.  Need to be able to have things in a Windows style tree which can open a group of objects folder with a (+) or close with a (-) or something.  (See your pals in the Creo Dept.) Also, having the Mates in the Instances Tree is still an overwhelming use of valuable real estate.  Can't we have a way to click on a part and open up a Mate Dialogue box for it instead?

• TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Mate Detail Tooltip is a great addition, but would be even nicer if it showed the name of components assigned to the mate. For a simple model as the cylinder, you can easily visualize them in the 3D model, but when having an intricate design, with lots of components bunched together, it quickly becomes harder to distinguish which components are mated together.
     If you long click on a mate in the graphics area it will Isolate just the two parts that are mated. Same result if you right click on the mate and select Isolate

Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited September 2020
    Oh, my bad, it does look like they are identifiable.

Hidden mates are light gray

Inactive mates are light gray + Italicized text + lower half of icon is lighter 
    all of that and I still barely noticed the first time

• jason_dixonjason_dixon Member Posts: 5 EDU
    The ability to sketch on drawings would be handy.  And, of course, displaying simplified external threads on drawings, or at least sketch them. Inserting a symmetry symbol (not the GD&T symmetrical symbol) would be nice, too.
  • HuguesLessardWRIHuguesLessardWRI Member Posts: 14 PRO
    TimRice said:
     If you long click on a mate in the graphics area it will Isolate just the two parts that are mated. Same result if you right click on the mate and select Isolate

Thanks Tim, I haven't seen this one and it sure is a great tip, but how much clicks those it take to find that fastened 1 assembled Part A to Part B, rather than just hovering over the mate itself. Just saying that could be great if we could hover every mates and having part names listed at very first glance. Understanding how an assembly has been built would be much easier and less time consuming (same goes for debugging bad mates) especially when you run over a couple of those in a single assembly.

Hugues Lessard
    Ingénieur de produits / Product Engineer
    Waste Robotics Inc. / www.wasterobotic.com

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español:
    https://youtu.be/TWEWEm-vGJw
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
    Section view of a section view!!

This is a fantastic update. Thank you Onshape team!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • CBowersCBowers Member Posts: 50 PRO
    Properties in Workspaces and versions are great, but we can't use it linked in a drawing note (like in the titleblock)

I was trying to make this work too. Having all the info for all the title blocks in my document just pull from one place would be super helpful. 
    Each of those drop downs are scanning a different scope of properties. So you can have two properties on different levels with the same name and can clearly tell the difference 
  • Ben_Tek_PacBen_Tek_Pac Member Posts: 49 PRO
    How do I get the word SECTION to appear automatically like in the video? After creating any section or detail view I have to open view properties and type it in. have I missed some setting somewhere? 

@Ben_Tek_Pac
    As far as I know, it always appears automatically.

Are you sure you are not doing a projected view or auxiliary view?
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    I only get the A-A. Maybe it is depending on the language you selected in Onshape? 
    @Ben_Tek_Pac
    As far as I know, it always appears automatically.

Are you sure you are not doing a projected view or auxiliary view?
    No it is not a projected view or auxiliary view, as sebastian_glanzner say I only get A-A for sections and only get A with the scale underneath for detail views. 
    I only get the A-A. Maybe it is depending on the language you selected in Onshape? 
    I found it, if you use ISO it doesn't have it. If you have ANSI it does. It should be on the ISO. really needs the option to have it or not have it.