Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Y14.5-2009

gerald_friedmangerald_friedman OS Professional Posts: 50 PRO
I would like to know when we, the users of OnShape that make drawing representable of the Y14.5-2009 standard, will have a full compliment of symbols required to adhere to the standard?

I have yet to be able to produce a viable document that meets my clients requirements and has now begun to affect my business.

Answers

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    @gerald_friedman I beleive we have these captured as improvements from tickets that have been submitted.  If you think there are more, as a Pro user you are certainly encouraged to submit more tickets/feedback.  The more interest there is in expanding the use cases we can support, the sooner it will get done.  We really do try to keep focused on what our users are telling us is most important to do next.  
  • gerald_friedmangerald_friedman OS Professional Posts: 50 PRO
    Missing or I've not found: Datum Targets (for castings, weldments and injection molded parts), Continuous Feature symbol, Spotface symbol
  • chris_winters404chris_winters404 Member Posts: 37 PRO
    Hello @gerald_friedman the spotface symbol is in the tolerancing box that appears right after you set a dimension to add more detail to the dimension in the drawing:

edited June 2018
    Sorry but that is the counterbore symbol. Spotface symbol has the letters SF inside.

And still waiting for Datum Targets and Continuous Feature Symbol.

• chris_winters404chris_winters404 Member Posts: 37 PRO
    Howdy Gerald,
    My bad I forgot they updated  the spotface symbol.
    A workaround I found was to go to https://www.tec-ease.com/gdt-terms.php
    and grab the symbols I want an import them into a drawing, you can then manipulate the size and placement.
    This is a workaround for the time being, but it will get you where you need to go as far as symbols go.
    Still trying to figure out a workaround for Datum targets.
    I will give you a shout if one avails itself

edited June 2018
    Chris,

Interesting approach. Not sure how to import into a drawing but will give it a try.

Thanks,

Managed to do what I think you described. Only problem is it doesn't attach to anything.

• Ben_StoeltingBen_Stoelting Member Posts: 3
    Hi, 
    Any update on this? I'm dimensioning a casting and need datum-targets but still looks like these are not part of Onshape.
    Thanks
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    @Ben_Stoelting Datum targets, other needed symbols, and information below GDT frames are all on our list.  I've created a ticket for you on the need for datum targets.  
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    Datum targets are table stakes to do GD&T for cast and injection molded parts.
  • Russell_LyonsRussell_Lyons Member Posts: 5 PRO
    Any word on datum targets?  I am making drawings right now and would like to define datum targets.
  • rohan_st_hillrohan_st_hill Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Any update on datum targets?