Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Persistent Selection - can it be turned off?

LKRENZLERLKRENZLER Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
Onshape seems to default to persistent selection for everything.  Is there a way to turn that off?  Maybe I'm old fashioned but I really dislike it.

Comments

• Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @LKRENZLER

There is no way to turn it off. To deselect, you can either use Space, or you can click in whitespace (if it is not in a parameter entry).
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    LKRENZLERLKRENZLER Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Thanks guys.  I still don't like it but if it can't be changed then I guess there's not much choice.  It's just far more common for me to want to pick one thing than many so I'm constantly having to get rid of previous selections.  It's strange there is no alternative.  Cheers.
  • Options
    craigBorrowscraigBorrows Member Posts: 2
    I agree with LKRENZER, just let me use shift for selection. 
  • Options
    toshana_jamestoshana_james Member Posts: 3
    the persistant selection is one of the things that keeps me from using this software, I understand that people at onshape might think that it is better but please dont force things onto your users thinking you know best when the solution is a simple preference tick mark, this is the kind of self righteous behivior that leads to poor products, listen to your users. 
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    I didn't/don't love the persistent selection, but I think the whole reason it was done that way is to make mobile and desktop more similar. Once you get used to hitting spacebar to de-select on desktop, it's really not that bad.

If/when they add more customization, there might be a way to make it an option, but considering that shift-click and ctrl-click have other meanings in some parts of the UI, it might not be so easy to make a "simple preference".