Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

I'm having difficulties with the sweep feature, can anyone help?

I'm going through the Part Design tutorial creating a paperclip, and the sweep feature doesn't seem to be working. The figure I'm using to sweep is a 5 mm circle, and the path is a simple paperclip design that isn't an actual part yet, just some lines. The sweep path is on the top plane, while the profile sketch is on the right plane. At first it goes well.

However, after this, it just seems to break.

I tried selecting the whole figure anyways to try and have it fix itself, and it worked to an extent, but the size is all wrong and it's just off for some reason.

Can anyone help? I'm not sure what's going on here. I followed the directions, all the dimensions are correct and they're all on the correct planes. All arcs are tangent to all lines. I don't have a clue.

Answers

• Jenny_JohnsonJenny_Johnson Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 9
    Can you post an ISO view of the interaction between the 2 sketches - the profile and the path - is the circle centered at the endpoint of the path?

Jenny E Johnson
    Principal Technical Services Engineer, Onshape
    jjohnson@ptc.com
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    In your first image, there is a warning - this indicates what @Jenny_Johnson is saying
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • tyler_vandewaltyler_vandewal Member Posts: 7
    @Jenny_Johnson
    Yeah, the tutorial said to apply the coincident constraint to the center of the circle and the endpoint of the path sketch

• alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    It looks like the center point of your circle isn't quite on the end point of the line (the plane is slightly too far). For your path sketch, is that endpoint coincident with the right plane? It might be slightly to the left of where it should be. However, I can't tell 100% from the screenshot
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Make it public and share the URL - would save a lot of effort and second guessing. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @tyler_vandewal

@alnis_smidchens is correct about the gap between your profile and your path:

If you make sure the profile sketch is touching the start of the path, everything will behave more nicely.  That is what the info message at the top of the page "For best results ensure that the path intersects each profile or its plane" is trying to tell you, as well.

Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited October 2020
    You are probably missing a constraint on the path: 

If the sketch were fully constrained, it would be black instead of blue.  Maybe the start or end point of the path is supposed to be coincident with the origin?  I am not familiar with the lesson, but I could look if you posted a link.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • tyler_vandewaltyler_vandewal Member Posts: 7
    Okay, thanks for bringing those to my attention, I'll see if it works out. Here's the link to the lesson:
    https://learn.onshape.com/learn/course/fundamentals-part-design-using-part-studios
    The paperclip part is the second or third part of the lesson, though.