Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

HexInfill (V2). How to use on simple example

going_alonggoing_along Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
Here is my example:

It is a Shelled out box (Part1), with a separate box (Part2) inside. I have then applied the HexInfill feature script onto Part2.

How do I get only the hex infill into the position where Part 2 is now?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @going_along

It looks like yu are using a copy of the hex infill feature with all of the actual functionality ripped out.  This is the hex infill feature:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5729ffb4e4b077d8431a8cea/w/21e94858a31bf966149584d8/e/8cb802c1a9080d5481747743
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    Thanks for that, it looked as though it was doing something as I could see the outlines of the hex structure. However, being new to FeatureScripts I would appreciate your telling me how I can get the script you pointed me to loaded into my workspace/Studio.
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @going_along

First thing I would do is open any part studio, go into the list of custom features, right click on the hex infill that's in there, and click remove to get it out of your toolbar:

Then, if you follow the link I pasted above, you will see a "+ custom features" button, which will allow you to add the feature from that document into your toolbar:

Just click on the "+" and then click on the feature.

Let me know if you need additional help!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    Thanks for putting all that effort into creating such clear illustrated instructions - they worked :) . If I can press you one more time - does the infill always leave faces on the part or is there a way to make it go right through? Obviously I can slice the ends off but maybe there is a way to make it do it?
  • Options
    Finally thanks. Just doing as you suggested. Reason is that I want to pass light through into the back of the honeycomb.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,362
    I have a feature that sounds like what you're looking for or at least may be a good starting point for you. It shells a part and creates a hex pattern. It uses a different method than Hex Infill, spaces the hex pattern out better and is faster: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2f390754b9d0cbf7c2dc4128/w/49cd82f65be2b44294988bd4/e/a5591b0ec218d2a4f47a059d

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Thanks. Using my new expertise I will give it a try.
  • Options
    When I try adding Hex Fill Box to my toolbar I get the report "No features available". So I am doing something wrong?

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    When I try adding Hex Fill Box to my toolbar I get the report "No features available". So I am doing something wrong?

Nope, you're not doing anything wrong. @NeilCooke will you please make a version so we can add the feature? Looks cool!

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,362
    Sorry, try again. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Getting there but now fails with "Failed to fillet selections". Tried various size parameters :/
  • Options
    Stormi_BackusStormi_Backus Member Posts: 49
    @going_along I am having the same issue with "Failed to fillet selection." Did you ever identify the issue? Thanks!
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    I wonder if @Evan_Reese's new(ish) feature will do what you want: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/21282/grid-extrude-custom-feature