Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Grid Extrude Custom Feature

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
I've just released a new custom feature called Grid Extrude (get the feature HERE).

It works like the normal extrude feature, but extrudes a network of shapes like this. I made it mostly to make networks of drafted ribs to reinforce plastic parts, but there are other uses too. You can watch the video tour HERE. Give it a go and let me know what you think!

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Comments

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,718 PRO

Yes!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    This is an iso grid right? NASA's strongest structure. 

This is really nice, good job!

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    Darn!

Can you? They're a pain to construct manually. 
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 812 PRO
    Another great one here!
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    Sweet
  • Options
    David_YL_NguyenDavid_YL_Nguyen Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 90
    Cool feature!!!
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,401
    Reminds me of one I did 3 years ago  :) https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2f390754b9d0cbf7c2dc4128
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    @billy2
    You can choose a triangle as the pattern, but it doesn't have the little holes at the nodes like the isogrid images I'm seeing
  • Options
    @NeilCooke
    yes indeed. The closer you look the more it will remind you of it, because the bbox and transform math of your feature was the basis for handling the transforms. Thanks for making it and putting it out there.
  • Options
    @Evan_Reese this was really fast to construct and analyse. Your script allows easy changes to grid size & direction to maximise strength to weight. Thanks.

• Options
    billy2 said:
    @Evan_Reese this was really fast to construct and analyse. Your script allows easy changes to grid size & direction to maximise strength to weight. Thanks.

Yessss! I'd not thought to play with it this way, and I love it! If you wanna get even more flexible with it, you could configure it with variables so you can change it from the assembly
  • Options
    NewFatMikeNewFatMike Member Posts: 8
    billy2 said:
    Darn!

Can you? They're a pain to construct manually. 
    There is a public isogrid feature here, it's VERY cool!

Julia's Featurescripts | Isogrid (onshape.com)
  • Options
    yes! Thanks, @NewFatMike. I knew I'd seen one somewhere and forgot where. Julia has a bunch of good scripts.
  • Options
    Chris_D_Mentes_001Chris_D_Mentes_001 Member, csevp Posts: 55 PRO
    There's no place in my industry where I'd ever get to use this but God Damnit its fu*n cool!
  • Options

• Options
    V13 UPDATE:

I've been running into a number of bugs and limitations with this feature, as have others. I've re-worked a lot of it and I think it's much more usable now, and with better performance too.
    Major changes are:
    1. I totally re-worked how the grids are created. Now it creates a grid per input face, and the grid is much less over-built than previously, so it's more efficient. This improves performance, and also solves for some issues where the grid still didn't totally cover all of the faces, causing unpredictable behavior. This also means that certain odd cases don't impact performance the way they used to; for example, picking two faces far apart no longer produces a whole wasted grid between them.
    2. Optional grid center point - Since the center location of the grid was somewhat arbitrary before, I've added the option to select any point or mate connector to position the center of the grid. This is made possible by the new grid logic. If a point is picked that isn't on the main plane, it will be projected onto it.
    3. Optional grid direction - Similar to above, the direction can be somewhat arbitrary and unpredictable, so now a direction can be chosen. If a direction is picked that isn't perpendicular to the extrude direction, the closest direction is used anyway, giving a lot of flexibility about what can be selected as a direction.
    4. Preview grid option which I'll personally use to make sure my setups are optimized well enough. Maybe other want this too.
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Evan_Reese this would be cool to demonstrate at an upcoming user group meeting. :)
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    @Evan_Reese this would be cool to demonstrate at an upcoming user group meeting. :)
    I'm in. Let me know what you're thinkin'
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Evan. I am hoping to get more details by the end of the week/ weekend.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    dmitrii_nedealcovdmitrii_nedealcov Member Posts: 2
    Thank you!