Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - December 10th, 2020

Lindsay_EarlyLindsay_Early Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 16
edited December 2020 in New in Onshape
Onshape has now implemented its new logo site wide.

Although our logo may have changed, you’ll notice no changes when using Onshape itself – except the new features and improvements our development team delivers every three weeks!

Let’s take a look at the latest release:

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

CREATING VARIABLES ON THE FLY

Now you can create variables on the fly when editing a sketch or feature.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ahyvcvje1a

PDF TRANSPARENCY

PDF Transparency is now supported so watermarks will no longer block the visibility of dimensions and other notes when drawings are exported to PDF.

MOBILE IMPROVEMENTS

ANDROID ARRAY PARAMETERS

Android devices can now handle array parameters to reduce the number of taps needed to complete features like Loft.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/98zhsytsgl

UI IMPROVEMENTS

HISTORY

Restoring in History now shows you more information about which point in history was used.

DRAWING USER INTERFACE

Drawing View properties and BOM Properties now show more detailed information about the referenced model including the workspace/revision/version Name, Part Number, Revision, and State.

JAPANESE LOCALIZATION

The User Interface can now display Japanese. Go to My Account > Preferences > Display Language to change for individual users.

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

TECHNICAL BRIEFINGS

There is a new Tech Briefing on creating High Performing Assemblies. It includes information on general mating, Group vs. Fastened, and other techniques to make more robust and high performing assemblies.

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

ENTERPRISE USER INTERFACE

In Enterprise settings, you can sort the Users interface by Name, User Type, and Date added.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• CBowersCBowers Member Posts: 50 PRO
    Just noticed the logo change when I opened a part in a new tab. Went to forum and saw this update. On the fly variables are very cool.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Sweet! On the fly variables.

I like the restore descriptions :)
  • Matthew_WilsonMatthew_Wilson Member, csevp Posts: 4 PRO
    I'm super excited for the on the fly variables.  The restore times are also going to be really useful.  Thanks team!
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Guizmo said:
    Huge fan of variables on the fly! but not very sure about the new logo. It's nice but lacks something.
    Maybe it's too much green

• Ben_Tek_PacBen_Tek_Pac Member Posts: 49 PRO
    All the drawing improvements are awesome! Any drawing improvement is very high on the needed scale as at the end of the day, that is how most of us ( I think ) communicate with manufacturing, clients etc.
    love the variable creation on the fly.
    I wonder if that is it for the year :|  or is there going to be a Christmas present?  :) 
  • jason_1jason_1 Member Posts: 24 PRO
    The new logo is way worse, but the "on the fly variable naming" is the sugar that makes the medicine go down. I can't wait until we also get variable display options in sketches which will really make using variables easier and more valuable. 
  • jared_fitzclarencejared_fitzclarence Member Posts: 13 PRO
    Fantastic! I am going to love the new variables improvements. Thanks so much.

Notice a sneaky change of logo too overnight???
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305

I wonder if that is it for the year :|  or is there going to be a Christmas present?  :) 
    That’s it for this year - see you in January 😀
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 138 PRO
    I'm not complaining about the logo, since I'm a huge fan of Creo.  The Variable on the Fly thing looks really useful.
  • danny_paynedanny_payne Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 PRO
    Liking the updates. Really like the on the fly variables!!! Super nice.
  • Adam_MichaAdam_Micha Member Posts: 17 ✭✭✭
    Sweet updates! On-the-fly variables are a nice quality of life addition. But the PDF transparency is great. I suggested this some months back and I'm happy to see it included!
  • gábor_kiczenkogábor_kiczenko Member Posts: 3 PRO
    On the fly vars are GENIUS! 
  • ryan_mcgoldrickryan_mcgoldrick Member Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Couldn't agree more.
    MichaelPascoe said:
    On the fly variables, this will save some time. So many improvements! Thank you Onshape team!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ New logo, not good. The old color and logo were clean, bold, and inviting. Subconsciously, this will affect everyone's first impression of Onshape.

• APDAPD Member Posts: 40 PRO
    Glad to see support for PDF transparency; I was on that improvement request too. Will it be useful for anything other than the water-mark?
    On-the-fly variables look great! I tend to use only config variables but should try to use the parametric type more often.
    https://learn.onshape.com/learn/article/parametric-variables-vs-configuration-variables
  • nathan_baker140nathan_baker140 Member Posts: 1 EDU
    cool
  • CGCAD_Engineer1CGCAD_Engineer1 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Yesssss! On-the-fly variables!

(...too bad the time it saves is taken up by searching for the little blue Onshape logo in my tabs for a couple days... Will miss the old logo, but I'm sure the new one will become familiar quick enough :) )
  • Gavin_MunroGavin_Munro Member Posts: 14 PRO
    Loving all these improvements. Each of these has in the past, caused me to think "I wish ..... was better". Not any more!

Not sure I'm going to learn Japanese though.

Well done the lads and lasses at Onshape!