Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - December 10th, 2020

13»

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @AuroraRon @guy_rogel Absolutely agreed.  Product structure view and export which goes across documents, has the ability to add and exclude and can combine and adding into folders would be my highest priority. My heart sinks every time a customer asks for a set of pdf's drawings, it takes 10x longer than it should to get these out. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • janos_horvathjanos_horvath Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    I suggest to turn the theme all green on the GUI or back to blue but this mix is pretty odd.
  • tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Whoever picked the green might have had a Firefox update waiting for them ;-)

edited December 2020
    Coca-Cola is cool with being a patchwork of styles. Why can't you, PTC? Huh?
    14 Amazing Facts You Should Know About Coca-Cola  Reckon Talk
    They could have rebranded Minute Maid all Coca-Cola-like. Bright red label, outrageous free-flowing font, maybe a pop-up cap for good measure---right on your OJ bottle.
    It would have conformed to Coca-Cola style guidelines!
    But would it have been better ;-)
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    There was a similar outcry from Alibre users when 3D Systems bought them out and changed the name to Geomagic Design.  Prospective customers said that the name sounded a bit Mickey Mouse.  Geomagic Design died off a year or two later and was bought back by some old Alibre employees who renamed it back to Alibre. 

As a lowly free user, my opinion doesn't count for any thing, but I'd really rather that Onshape/PTC resources be spent on something more tangible and useful to designers than logos.

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Variables on the fly -- awesome!

Logo .. who cares.. I'm amazed it's still onshape.com with it's own user forum .. could be a lot worse already..

but if you're going to touch the default color scheme, make sure it's introduced in same update with user defined color and have 'old onshape' scheme saved as example.  
    //rami
  • paul_bunnellpaul_bunnell Member Posts: 25 EDU
    I get it - you pay a bunch of money to acquire a company and you at least want to put your logo on it.
    But man does it clash.
  • AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
    Bad rebrands happen all the time. Do a google search for "Rebranding Disasters" with lots of excellent examples.  

Kraft Foods, The Gap, Mastercard, Pepsi, BP, Radio Shack and many others suffered from rebranding.   

• corey_mcguirecorey_mcguire Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Two types of people.

1. "On the fly variables?! NEAT!"
    2. "New logo, BAD!!!!"
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO
    edited December 2020
    I would like to thank everyone who participated in this peaceful protest regarding the original Onshape branding. The turn out was much more successful than I imagined it would be.

#PalletOfBricks
    #Type2

;) 

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
    Onshape will always be blue to me :disappointed:
  • KC_onshapeKC_onshape Member Posts: 2
    Love the addition of on-the-fly variables!
    Agree with many other commenters though about not loving the new logo. So much of the rest of the UI and style of Onshape is in the same blue as the old logo, so the green of the new logo looks really off and out of place. The blue is much more pleasant IMO, so I hope they don't change the whole Onshape color scheme to match the new logo...

(Also FYI if anyone at Onshape reads these comments, the logo is still the old blue one on the mini-logos of safari tabs.)
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    I like the on-the-fly variable creation ( :) ), but not the new logo ( :( )
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    edited December 2020
    It's not just the logo, mind you.
    It's also the font, the bold typeface, the blue and white contrast... the circles where aggressive sharp hexagons now are...
    It's the whole look of Onshape. It's very cohesive, simple, inviting, just pleasant. It's strange they would just change it.
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO
    tony_459 said:
    It's not just the logo, mind you.
    It's also the font, the bold typeface, the blue and white contrast... the circles where aggressive sharp hexagons now are...
    It's the whole look of Onshape. It's very cohesive, simple, inviting, just pleasant. It's strange they would just change it.
    Tony has a great point.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
    edited December 2020
    Oh.
    I notice Onshape is the only product in the PTC CAD portfolio not named Creo [___].
    Everybody, allow me to introduce Creo Cloud :dizzy:
    You heard it here first.

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited December 2020
    That's not even funny

:s 
  • nick_lumbnick_lumb Member Posts: 25 PRO
    I echo the comments about both creating variables on the fly and the logo!

Green is my favourite colour and I still don't think the logo works; if Onshape blue replaced the green that would at least belong in the rest of Onshape's colour scheme!

Absolutely thrilled with creating variable from within a sketch or extrude :smiley:  I joined Onshape in October 2015 and requested this in the November; I am one very happy bunny!  (slightly bemused at my own choice of words however!)
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    edited December 2020
    Is this a new icon? And speaking of in context does anyone know of a way to figure out which context when there are multiple? 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited December 2020
    You should get in the habit of naming your context when you create them. Otherwise you will need to go to the part studio and do some detective work 
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    I realize naming them would be a good idea and would probably help me some, however, I think it would be nice if when a sketch or something referenced a context, Onshape would also provide the in context info.   
  • john_reichjohn_reich Member Posts: 1 EDU
    The logo looks more like a Recycle symbol then a logo for a 3D modeling software
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    1 week in and I think the logo has grown on me, or at least I've grown used to it. Even with the new logo, I am still loving the many and varied improvements over old workflows and looking forward to more coming in with these seamless updates. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Diego_CamiloDiego_Camilo Member Posts: 1
    I had been scared when I entered the login page