Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

accessing one coordinate of a vector?

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
I'm trying to use a triad manipulator to set 3 different length parameters (XY and Z coordinates). Since the base and offset of the triad are both simple vectors I'm not sure how to send the x value to the X length parameter. Is there a way to get one of the values out of a vector? Am I asking the right question? Manipulators in general are new to me too, so any info helps.
Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Best Answers

• Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Answer ✓
    @Evan_Reese

3d vectors in Onshape are just a simple array of three ValueWithUnits, meaning that you can get the x, y and z dimensions with vec[0], vec[1], and vec[2], respectively.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    jon_sorrellsjon_sorrells Onshape Employees Posts: 51
    Answer ✓
    You can access the vector as an array to get the x, y, and z components.  Like myVector[0] to get the x component.
    The Transform feature uses a triad manipulator, you can take a look at the transformManipulatorChange method in transformCopy.fs in the standard library.  I've copied the relevant portion here:
            const offset = input[TRANSLATION].offset;
            output.dx = offset[0];
            output.dy = offset[1];
            output.dz = offset[2];
    You can also use the dot product, like dot(myVector, (vector(1, 0, 0))), which would get the x component of myVector.

Answers

• Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Answer ✓
    @Evan_Reese

3d vectors in Onshape are just a simple array of three ValueWithUnits, meaning that you can get the x, y and z dimensions with vec[0], vec[1], and vec[2], respectively.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    jon_sorrellsjon_sorrells Onshape Employees Posts: 51
    Answer ✓
    You can access the vector as an array to get the x, y, and z components.  Like myVector[0] to get the x component.
    The Transform feature uses a triad manipulator, you can take a look at the transformManipulatorChange method in transformCopy.fs in the standard library.  I've copied the relevant portion here:
            const offset = input[TRANSLATION].offset;
            output.dx = offset[0];
            output.dy = offset[1];
            output.dz = offset[2];
    You can also use the dot product, like dot(myVector, (vector(1, 0, 0))), which would get the x component of myVector.

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    I'm really glad it's that simple. I thought that's what I'd tried but I must have not had it quite right. I've got it working now.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl