Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Do you really want to Delete this Parts Studio Tab? Hope your sure!

christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
Hello! I notice when deleting a Parts Studio Tab you don't get a "Are you sure?" question! Be careful picking "Export..."!

Best Answers

Answers

• christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    @traveler_hauptman : OK... since this was a Part Studio session I was trying things out in, I restored back to that Delete Tab instant. Now I noitice everything else I did after that is "suspended in time". When I go 'forward' to restore what I did after the delete... the tab is still deleted. Hmmm...
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    There may be a little version control magic one can play. I have not tested it but in theory....

Roll forward so your new changes are captured but the tab is deleted. Save a version and branch it. Roll back to where the deleted tab is restored. Save that version. merge the branched (new changes) version on to the version with the restored tab....

It depends on how Onshape implemented their merge...
    Well, the Tab I test deleted contained a file.x_t file. So I can go back, restoring the tab, download the file, go forward restoring what else I did, and then import the x_t file again. I will try deleting a Parts Studio, making some other changes, then go back and copy the Parts Studio to the clip board, go forward, and paste in the Parts Studio. Hmmm... now what happens if you delete a Parts Studio where parts are use in an Assembly! YIKES!
  • burkeaburkea Onshape Employees Posts: 2
    @christopher_owens That's surely a problem. I'll see if we can get a confirm dialog in there. In the mean time, @traveler_hauptman's solution of restoring from the workspace history should get your part studio back. 
    Of course when I reimported the x_t file I get an assembly(1) tab and a assembly(1)parts tab... SOoo...that would safe guard against "losing everything" if once and a while you saved an 30JUN15_0327PM.x_t file!
    But then again, everything is now Import 1 and "dumb solids"...
    edited June 2015
    Well that did give me the opportunity to "OS!!" delete the assembly(1)parts tab. Yep assembly(1) is empty with a lot of red text in the Instances list!
    AH! I can easily restore that and the assembly has all it's parts back. So if you Delete and tab "OS!!" best to restore it right away!!
    edited June 2015
    @traveler_hauptman Not familiar with the version saving and branching yet! I have a feeling I am going to do some reading on those! Thanks! As I said I was just experimenting with things!
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    Take a quick look when you can. It replaces saving backup copies and creating copies for testing.

'Save version' (in the versions flyout) is like saving a backup copy of your work that you can easily return to at any time.

'Branch to create workspace' (in the gear menu of each saved version) is a little like creating a copy for testing so that you can simultaneously try different approaches.

That's an oversimplified explanation but good enough to start using it.
    For the record, I tested that version juggling theory I suggested and it works (blending changes made after deleting a workspace with the undeleted workspace.)
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,174
    @traveler_hauptman  That is really clever!  I think it's actually a general way of "undoing" any contiguous sequence of steps in the middle of the document history.

A problem with copying the part studio tab from an earlier version, besides not restoring assembly references, is that that creates a new tab (different than the old part studio) so merging changes to that part studio from other branches won't work.

Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited July 2015
    For the record, I tested that version juggling theory I suggested and it works (blending changes made after deleting a workspace with the undeleted workspace.)
    I didn't succeed on my test. I deleted a tab and then created sketch and feature to another tab. I was only able to bring back the lost tab but was not able to merge work done after that.. I did a lot of restoring and testing in between so that might cause it not to work. But I did manage to create a version with new work and another version with lost tab restored; but merge only worked in one direction.
    //rami