Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is There an Offset/Delete Function?

larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
I am in the habit (right or wrong) of needing to adjust 3Dn printed parts incrementally until the part is correct for it usage. The method I've been using is an offset. sometimes rather small to sneak up on perfect fit but the offset feature leaves the original sketch line intact and bit on the way. Is there anther method that will both offset and delete the original sketch line?

Probably doesn't need a video but here's the question below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S-6igdCLsQ

Best Answer

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I would leave the sketch with it nominal geometry and use move face feature on the part faces

Answers

Answer ✓
    I would leave the sketch with it nominal geometry and use move face feature on the part faces
  • larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    Thank you Konstantin, I moved the faces of the corresponding parts as well and it was much more flexible than I thought it would be. Are there any downsides to the technique??
    edited January 2021
    I don't think you would face any more problems compared to offsetting sketches. You should only keep in mind that offset face takes an offset value in face normal direction, while when offseting sketch contours it will not necessarily be the same offset value in face normal direction.
    One more approach is to use boolean subtract with offset option, if you need to set backlash for the fit of one entire part in anorher one.
  • larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    ..."You should only keep in mind that offset face takes an offset value in face normal direction, while when offseting sketch contours it will not necessarily be the same offset value in face normal direction."
    That's interesting...offsetting a sketch by .02" is not necessarily the same offset as a 'move face in normal direction. That's a bit difficult to grasp.
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    That's interesting...offsetting a sketch by .02" is not necessarily the same offset as a 'move face in normal direction. That's a bit difficult to grasp.

If you are extrude or revolve sketch then offset in plane is the same as face offset because face normal is parallel to the sketch plane. But if you extruded with draft (e.g.), face normal is at the draft angle to the sketch plane and face offset will be measured along face normal.