Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there a way to define and extrude a conical hole through a part?

I have a part that mounts onto a conical airway but can't workout a way to do this beyond creating it as a part and using it as a boolean remove? Any faster ways?

Best Answer

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @paul_elliott363
    It seems like you're just starting out with CAD. Instead of telling you how to do very specific tasks only for you to run into another roadblock immediately afterward, I believe it would be much more useful for you to go through the tutorials. They do a good job of showing you the basics and beyond. Check the link below.

Onshape CAD Fundamentals

Answers

Just like you can create the conical part, you can use the same exact method to remove material instead of adding it. The most direct methods are to either use a revolve feature or an extrude feature with draft.
  • paul_elliott363paul_elliott363 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks, not sure I follow? I can make the conical part, easy  and I can clearly use it to add or remove using boolean which is quite long winded way and will need to be done many times over in my case. Is there another way that I've missed that is likely to be slicker?
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Select the remove option.

Answer ✓
    @paul_elliott363
    It seems like you're just starting out with CAD. Instead of telling you how to do very specific tasks only for you to run into another roadblock immediately afterward, I believe it would be much more useful for you to go through the tutorials. They do a good job of showing you the basics and beyond. Check the link below.

Onshape CAD Fundamentals
  • paul_elliott363paul_elliott363 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks Mahir, definitely a case of a picture paints a thousand words. Couldn't get that from your first response, sorry. I have been going through so many tutorials but it is only marginally helpful because until you use it, it doesn't always make sense of become a memory. To date I've never seen this solution before though I have seen many questions such as mine. Certainly a simple and effective solution.