Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

See/find mate features associated with a part? (in an assembly)

jesse_silverjesse_silver Member Posts: 2
Hi there, trying to figure out how to identify which mate features are associated with what parts! :(  For example, I want to change how a part is mated within my assembly, and potentially delete some mate features and add new ones. I click on the part in the parts list but none of the mate features light up (which is the UI I would expect). I can't move the part because other things move with it... what am I missing here? I know it must be something... :)
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    andy_morrisandy_morris Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 87
    To see the parts related to the mates, select the mate in the Assembly List and the parts will highlight. If you expand the mate and hover over the mate connector the individual part will highlight.

I will add you to the improvement for seeing the mates from selected parts.
    Andy Morris / Head of Product Design / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 on seeing the mates from selected parts
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 from me, too.
  • Options
    jesse_silverjesse_silver Member Posts: 2
    To see the parts related to the mates, select the mate in the Assembly List and the parts will highlight. If you expand the mate and hover over the mate connector the individual part will highlight.

I will add you to the improvement for seeing the mates from selected parts.
    Thanks for the feedback, andy! Yeah, I know I can do that, but it means I have to click through like 40 mates until I happen upon the one (or several) relating to the part I am interested in... super inefficient. Anyway, +1 on feature request :)
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    @jesse_silver, You can easily identify by simply clicking on mate connector it will highlight part which it associated. After that you have to click on highlighted part in model space to highlight in model tree.

• Options

@viru : I think you misunderstand @jesse_silver's point

He knows how to find the part associated with a particular mate.

He needs to find the mates associated with a particular part.

At present in Onshape, this is a bit like trying to use a telephone book to find out the name of the person with a particular number.

While it is possible, it is not very practical.

• Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    @ andrew_troup and @jesse_silver , If that is case then there will be one workaround to find the mates associated with a particular part by suppressing the that particular part user can get failed mate associated with that part.

• Options
    @viru : great diagnostic tip. Thanks for the reminder!
  • Options
    Terry1Terry1 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    +1 for showing mates connected to a part when selected. This makes more sense when an assembly gets busy. A right click "show mates" dialog popup similar to Solidworks would be great.
  • Options
    rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    Still not working in 2020?
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Still not working in 2020?
    @rune_thorsen229
    There is a show mates item in the right click menu  if that helps
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    MBartlett21 , sorry where do you find that?  I click on the part and I want to find its mates and I hoped they would light up. 
    Thanks in advance for your clarification.

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @rune_thorsen229

Morgan is saying that if you right click on an instance, one of the menu items will be "show mates"
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    avery_seemanavery_seeman Member Posts: 2
    for anyone looking for a solution, if you put your mouse over a mate in the instance list, it highlights the associated parts weather or not they are hidden. my method is to show just one part, and scroll through the mate list until that part and the other one I need is highlighted.