Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Disable Automatic Inferencing?

timothy_jumptimothy_jump Member Posts: 22
Is there a way to disable the Automatic Inferencing? It is a more effective when teaching students geometry if they must add critical references manually.

Best Answer

Answers

• timothy_jumptimothy_jump Member Posts: 22
    Yes, I'm familiar with the "Shift" key option, but this is an impractical approach when trying to herd high school students into a learning mode. But, this is part of understanding how curriculum and learning targets need re-thinking if I need to move to a web-based CAD tool.
  • terry_kuehne236terry_kuehne236 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    "Shift" isn't working for auto inferences. How does it work? Do you push "Shift" before you left click the mouse or after? Because no matter how I do it inferences still keep appearing.
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @terry_kuehne236
    shift does not turn off an active inference (orange showing). you need to move the cursor out of any inference. Then hold shift which keeps inferences from happening.
    www.accuratepattern.com
    The "Shift" key option, is even more of a minimal help because it only stops inferencing to external targets, but not built-in internal inferences. If you sketch a rectangle and don't want the internal references, they need to be removed manually as holding down "Shift" does nothing but spare the setting of horizontal or vertical. Alternately, the rectangle can be drawn using the line tool and holding down the "Shift" key while sketching each side.
  • terry_kuehne236terry_kuehne236 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    There should be a option to make constraints non-visible while drawing a sketch. Because  when you hover over and are trying to pick objects to draw from, constrains pop up and get in the way. I know shift helps to get rid of some constraints when trying to draw but you shouldn't have to see the constraints unless wanted or needed. Otherwise what is the purpose of "Show Constraints" if they are already showing up when you hover over objects.
    Hiding the constraints is a checkbox, and easy enough to manage. Our wish is to not have the constraints automatically populate when adding any shape (other than coincident endpoints with polygons). We spend bunches of time hunting for and removing unwanted constraints that get automatically added.
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    @timothy_jump, here's a thought. I don't know the content or curriculum of your class, but since all modern CAD programs will add auto constraints to some degree, maybe just incorporate them into the lesson? You can delete a couple constraints to show how the geometry behaves without them. But as a whole the auto constraints are part of the tool you're using, so why not get the students comfortable with them? Avoiding auto constraints is like trying to disable power steering on a car before teaching a 15yo how to drive just so they they know what it's like without it.
    Thanks. This is what I've done with Onshape. SolidWorks allows totally disabling automatic constraints (except for coincident endpoints as I mentioned in a previous comment). I find this a really nice feature for teaching students how to limit constraints to get to a fully defined shape (Both pairs of opposite sides of a parallelogram do not need to be set parallel if one side is set parallel and equal; this saves on adding redundant constraints and teaches minimalist thinking regarding parts design.).
  • wayne_newberrywayne_newberry Member Posts: 2 EDU
    I'll add to this old discussion that disabling automatic constraints would be a great help when creating splines around traced objects.  Complex groups of spline points will be peppered with automatic horizontal and vertical constraints which all must be removed to easily adjust the locations.  

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    You can suppress inferencing when sketching on an iPhone, and I would imagine, the same goes for when sketching on an iPad