Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - February 12th, 2021

2»

Comments

• henrikhenrik Member Posts: 2
    Duplicate in drawing tab -- THANK YOU! :smiley:
    Have never asked/requested this feature, but kept trying to find it over and over. Thanks for reading my mind, hehe.

• Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    A very strong list of improvements. We will be using all of them. Thank you for the new features. 
  • RT_AXIOMRT_AXIOM Member Posts: 18 PRO
    The export rules are a good start to something that could be really great!  The issue, mainly for drawings is that most like to have the TAB name the same as the file that I am creating when exporting.  This way the exported drawing name matches the tab for when I am asked to call that drawing back up by a customer.  I will still have to go and manually rename all the tabs to match, so at that point, the export rules don't really apply to drawings.  Works well for parts and assemblies though!  Just need batch export of multiple drawings to PDF's couple with these new export rules and we will be closer to what "I think" everyone wants/needs.  Keep chipping away at these improvements!
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @ryan_thivierge -I think there's a couple of issues with referencing the PN of the part or assembly in a drawing rather than the PN of the drawing itself. 1) some document management systems have different numbering formats for drawings and parts (even if they have the same number, they may have different prefixes), and 2) its uncommon for a drawing to reference multiple parts or assemblies (one drawing may have different part configurations, or someone may create a "drawing package" that details all parts needed for a project).

I find that setting a part number for a drawing only takes a few seconds when you create the drawing and then can be used by the rules whenever you need to export the drawing. I think it's a fairly good system that accommodates different needs. 
  • ryan_mcgoldrickryan_mcgoldrick Member Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    Also the tab move to new document is not appearing with the checkbox for referenced tabs also. and is still trying to move everything,
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    There's a link for the export rules for dxf's from faces but I can not seem to change anything related to these in the settings.  Am I missing something?  

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • raj_rajmcoraj_rajmco Member Posts: 3
    There's a link for the export rules for dxf's from faces but I can not seem to change anything related to these in the settings.  Am I missing something?  
    The export rules are supported for only things that have metadata. Likes parts/assemblies and drawings.  Faces are not supported
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    The export rules are supported for only things that have metadata. Likes parts/assemblies and drawings.  Faces are not supported

Then why put the link there? 
    Would be good if the flat pattern DXF took the meta data from the part it's associated with. It would be the same part number plus a different extension which is what I've been using anyway.
    +1 for this
    Agreed,  I normally only ever have 1 dxf per part, very rare to be exporting multiple faces.  I do a lot of laser-cut parts so exporting dxfs takes up a lot of time at the end of a project. The current process is to name the parts as per part number and description then export the face which defaults to the part studio name, then the part name. I was hoping to just go with the or combination of part name and description and avoid having to delete the part studio name.  Not a huge deal deleting the part studio name before export but I was hoping to make use of this new feature which so far has not helped me much. 
  • Shammai_wShammai_w Member Posts: 1 PRO
    Allway looking forward to the new updates!
    love the export convention! - will improve our quality and alignment.

Must agree with some of my fellow onshapers here - the document panel is somewhat of a downgrade for me. 
    I personally prefer having the tab panel open to navigate between the files but now having it usually close after I only have a fast look at the versions is disorienting and frustrating. I hope these functions are decoupled in the future..

and
    The panel can be expanded but not the graphic area...(

Just want to add my two cents for the tab manager button location - I like the current placement at the bottom of the screen for a couple of reasons:
    1. Its near where it's always been. I'm in the habit of looking for it at the bottom.
    2. All of the other tab controls are at the bottom of the screen. 
    3. The tabs themselves are at the bottom of the screen. 
    I think, if I were a new user and wanted to do something involving tabs, I'd look at the tabs (at the bottom) and then look to see what options are presented there. "Discover-ability" of the tab management button would be higher down at the bottom. 

Of course, preferences vary, but the current placement makes some sense to me, at least. 
    Just want to add my two cents for the tab manager button location - I like the current placement at the bottom of the screen for a couple of reasons:
    1. Its near where it's always been. I'm in the habit of looking for it at the bottom.
    I think, if I were a new user and wanted to do something involving tabs, I'd look at the tabs (at the bottom) and then look to see what options are presented there. "Discover-ability" of the tab management button would be higher down at the bottom. 

Of course, preferences vary, but the current placement makes some sense to me, at least. 
    The new setup annoys me. Once turned on the tab manager used to just always be there, for me I always had it turned on as I am constantly referring to it. Now it disappears and I have to think about how to get it back after switching to versions or comments.

The new setup annoys me. Once turned on the tab manager used to just always be there, for me I always had it turned on as I am constantly referring to it. Now it disappears and I have to think about how to get it back after switching to versions or comments.
    I can see how that could get annoying. I typically work with the Tab manager closed to have the extra space for modeling, so in my brain, I automatically look down for "tab stuff". 
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    I don't like the new placement of the version/comment buttons. It robs usable screen area and makes looking into version history more difficult. Having an extra 1/2" of the screen taken up for 3 buttons doesn't really make sense to me.

I'm also a user that keeps the left side tabs menu open all the time, I never use the bottom tabs. 

Before when you went into the version history or comment they would just drop down, now it takes over the tab menu, and when opened comes onto the screen and at the same width as the tab bar (which is usually at its minimum). This causes you to have to drag the window to the right so you can read the version history. Then when you switch back to the tab menu you've got to resize the window to a smaller size. 

I don't like this change at all.
  • gkuhnsgkuhns Member, csevp Posts: 36 PRO
    I'm guessing the new dock for the version/comment button was created because they are working on the PTC Atlas platform and they are going to use it for a whole pile of other features. I'm excited about that because it looks like Onshape is actually going to be the framework on which PTC will build their SAAS/Cloud platform.

My reason I for guessing that is I that saw a screenshot of a Vuforia product with that bar and exact set of icons.

• Ben_Tek_PacBen_Tek_Pac Member Posts: 49 PRO

Can we please bring the Tab manager icon to the top please. It makes no sense keeping down the bottom with this new setup. 

agree, agree agree, I was going to mention this but you beat me to it. :-) I find this very annoying that it is down the bottom and the others are at the top.
  • Ben_Tek_PacBen_Tek_Pac Member Posts: 49 PRO
    we need an option for this semi-circle to be filled in for showing MELT THRU or full penetration from one side.
    I am pasting images onto my drawing for this!

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Can I set multiple different names for each type?

I would like to be able to either export a part as just ${name} or ${part no.}_Rev${Rev.}, perhaps with a dropdown in the export dialog.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO

Can we please bring the Tab manager icon to the top please. It makes no sense keeping down the bottom with this new setup. 

Up / down / where ever but keep it like it is now that if I click once tab manager disappear and if I click again without moving mouse it comes back.

I hated the old where I accidentally hide it and then the button moved elsewhere to get it back.

//rami
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    I noticed it is passed the three week mark :) , is there a update before or after live 21???? ;):open_mouth:
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Wow already?
    we still haven't finished complaining about the last update :)
    Noticing that the last improvement thread isn't at the top of the page anymore is the most reliable indicator that I'm behind on my work. 
    ahh yes... time has passed once again.