Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

learn onshape

I tried to follow Mr Cody Armstrong video, which I thought was for newbies, didn't understand what he was talking about, kept saying lets get started then more chatter, he obviously knows his subject. but unfortunately I do not, but would like to, could you please point me in the right direction, and perhaps catch up with what Mr Armstrong was saying in a couple of months.

Is there a simpler plain speaking introduction to onshape, a dummy's  guide, what do each of the buttons do and how to use them, lets start at the beginning and assume I know nothing about CAD, which does not mean I am a dummy except in this case I am, not even sure how to use a forum, vote down vote up ?, presume that means, agree or disagree, thumbs up or down, 

Answers

• cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    @brian_ferguson109

I would recommend starting in our intro to CAD series.

https://learn.onshape.com/learn/learning-path/introduction-to-cad
  • brian_ferguson109brian_ferguson109 Member Posts: 8
    Thank you for your advise, will check it out. have just spent a couple of hours trying to combine a square and a circle into one part, so i can make a pattern where the square maintains the correct position,at the moment the square changes its angle, i cant seem to figure out how to group them into one unit,  Keep safe regards 
  • Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 198 EDU
    If its any help I keep telling my students, at least at first, to think about the traditional manufacturing process for the part and model based on that, so start with the full length of steel bar and take cuts out of that. Each cut is a sketch and then a remove operation.
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    ... just spent a couple of hours trying to combine a square and a circle into one part

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,695 PRO
    @steve_shubin Onshape tutorial gifs on a phone, that is way cool :o

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • brian_ferguson109brian_ferguson109 Member Posts: 8
    Thank you all for taking the time to answer my query, here is a link to my efforts, https://cad.onshape.com/documents/24d77bea103c55d6030bb62d/w/8f24b7cf638f5f34df03d61b/e/af8fcaa67d6de602c5ee3912. I have started the "intro to CAD series." have reached "introduction to 2D Drawings" but still haven't learnt what the various tools do, once I know what I and do then I can think about creating, and textures assembles etc. When you learn to drive you first get told what the  various pedals, knobs and leavers do. before going on a advanced driving course, sorry if that's not a very good analogy, perhaps I am missing the point, maybe i am expected to just keep trying .
    Keep Safe regards Brian
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    @MichaelPascoe

I don’t spend much time sitting at my computer, but I always have my iPhone with me. So if I’m going to do a GIF, it’s most likely going to be done on the iPhone

The GIF app used, renders in short order. Not too much effort or time to pop out a GIF, if I keep it simple. So all in all, it’s a fast process

There is a drawback if screen captures are longer — that being dropped frames. An example of this is the first GIF above.

But I’m hoping people will translate at least part of what they see done on the iPhone, to their desktop

I do appreciate your words Michael

Thanks