Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

mate overdefines the assembly

I can't seem to get these mates to work and I can't figure out why. I was doing great when things started to going bad. (Assembly 1 was working brilliantly then went bad. Assembly 2 was going well, with both pistons working fine, then I started to go backward. Now I can't get the revolve connection to work and I don't know why. What am I doing wrong?

Best Answer

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,364
    Answer ✓
    Having too many revolutes can cause the system to bind up due to tolerance issues - cylindrical adds a translational DOF that eases that. You wouldn't have guessed without me telling you.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• Options
    CBowersCBowers Member Posts: 50 PRO
    Try changing Fastened 3 and 4 to Revolute mates
  • Options
    john_minnee507john_minnee507 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, I tried that, but it still does not help. Theoretically if the mate between the piston and conrod are revolute these would not need to be revolute mates.

• Options
    Delete Revolute 9, change Revolute 1 and Revolute 2 to Cylindrical.
  • Options
    john_minnee507john_minnee507 Member Posts: 5
    thanks Neil, that worked. I haven't used that mate before, so I will have to work out the differences
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Having too many revolutes can cause the system to bind up due to tolerance issues - cylindrical adds a translational DOF that eases that. You wouldn't have guessed without me telling you.