Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Folders in Parts List in Part Studio?

simon_owen703simon_owen703 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited December 2020 in Community Support
Re-submitted in proper category  :#

Answers

• Options
    michael_mcdonald047michael_mcdonald047 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Yes, there are folders in the parts list now.  They help to keep the part tree more readable and organized.  If you don't like them, you can ignore and avoid them.
  • Options
    Hi Michael, good news....but how? I can’t see any new functionality in the GUI. I’m probably being thick, but doesn’t it need an icon like this?

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @simon_owen703, you can also select one or more items from the feature tree, right-click, and select "add to folder".
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like there may be some miscommunication here. 

@simon_owen703 seems to be asking about folders for the "parts list" not the "part studio". 

The folders in the part studio are only for features in the feature tree. Not for the actual list of parts below the feature tree. 
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    It's worth noting that if you have so many parts in your part studio that you need folders to organize them, you may be making the mistake of modeling an entire assembly in a single part studio, which is not great for performance and for your design being understandable by others.  You can split your design among multiple part studios by deriving a master sketch or two and/or using in-context modeling.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    Thanks to all, yes, miscommunication. If you see my original request for this new feature I also made the point about possibly needing a new part studio if one is thinking about folders of parts, but I still think the functionality would be good. It is logged as a request so we’ll see if it attracts ‘the selector’s eye’ or not. Cheers Simon 
  • Options
    rokersonrokerson Member Posts: 13 PRO
    It's worth noting that if you have so many parts in your part studio that you need folders to organize them, you may be making the mistake of modeling an entire assembly in a single part studio, which is not great for performance and for your design being understandable by others.  You can split your design among multiple part studios by deriving a master sketch or two and/or using in-context modeling.
    Part count can still grow to be quite large in studios during modeling. I'm specifically CADing a weldment right now, with several tubes. They are all interrelated so it makes sense to be modeled in a single Part Studio. It would be useful to organize parts, e.g. "box tubes," "gussets", etc.

Is this a planned improvement?