Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Surfaces to Solid Using Projected Curves and Lofts

jack_biesiadeckijack_biesiadecki Member Posts: 6
Hello, 

I am working on trying to make a part created with projected curves and lofts into a solid object. I have not been able to close 2 of the sides. Any help appreciated.

How do i make the backside solid?

Comments

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    EXTRUDE the 'backside' curve as a surface, Symmetric, extending past the part
    then use ENCLOSE
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick response and suggestion, however, in extrude mode I can not select any sections/surfaces/edges/outlines on the front to back planes. 
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    @jack_benedetti If you link share your document, we can give you better instructions.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    Not sure what you mean.  If you share a public url we can help further.

Or maybe this picture shows what I think. The curve establishing what you call backside seems to be on or parallel to the bottom plane.  You should be able to extrude that curve to close out your part with a surface.

www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    duplicate port
  • Options
    I copied your doc and created a solid part.  EXTRUDE & ENCLOSE

See the completed document here
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    Hi Bruce,

Link states that the resource does not exist or that I don't have permission to view it.
    Thanks for taking the time to look at this. Is there anything you would do differently to make a similarly shaped part?

Jack 
  • Options
    my bad - it is now public and you should be able to open.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    @jack_biesiadecki

please try again on the link

And you asked about any other ideas.  Your general approach is very good using projected curves, lofts, and then extrude & enclose.  Not sure of your intent but your curves are not smooth. You will want to work on your sketches, esp. splines.  You can use tangency at joining curves and try not to put more than 3 points in a splines (two is often enough).  You can do a lot with constraints and the spline handles.  The Forum has many threads on smooth curves/surfaces.  Here is one and a second one where @John_P_Desilets has some great tips for splines & lofts. 
    www.accuratepattern.com