Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Lofting: Problem with guide lines from a square base to an ellipsoidal shape

derek_vairderek_vair Member Posts: 3
Here's the onshape document URL:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9ff53daf0bb504ea1eb7fa44/w/00ca9d592e3ddaeb3ca01cc4/e/cc6f08cdd81203f8d71f968e

The end result is supposed to look like a gravy boat with no handle, and be 3D printable.  I have a much larger model that does print, but it gets messed up when I try and scale it down in onshape, and using Cura to scale it down results in walls that are too thin...

Similar to, but unlike the classic "square to circle" that gets twisted, I've got more vertices on the ellipsoidal shape than on the square, as it's made up of an ellipse, with the end of one major axis cut off, and replaced by a tangent line, an arc, and another tangent line (to make a kind of spout).  The basic problem is that onshape generates guide lines toward the front, giving an odd shape to the lofted shape.  I thought I could use three manually drawn pairs (L & R) of guide lines in the loft - for the rear, the middle/center, and the front of the square, the front being the face of the square closest to the spout.

The rear guide lines work as I expect.  However, the center ones don't.  I think it's  because I can't get the point of intersection of the guide line with the top of the shape to "lock in".   A side effect (I think) of the drawing as it is, is that I can't get the shell function to work properly to make the generated loft hollow.

I've tried using intersecting planes, lines drawn on the extrusion face (and then "Used" them in the TrayTopOutline sketch, but can't get a clean intersection point (like I have with the rear guide lines).  If there's another technique than loft/ shell, I'd be happy to use it to "step around" this problem.

Best Answers

Answers