Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

preping a part for 3d printing

uri_shani653uri_shani653 Member Posts: 5 EDU
To print in 3-D, it is needed to orient the part appropriately.
I have applied a rotation of 180 degrees on a part so it can be exported upside down as STL file
for 3D rip-rap printing.
Yet, the STL comes out the same before and after the rotation.
Any idea how to make this happen?

Best Answers

• larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    Answer ✓
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks Michael. I use Slic3r which lacks that feature, though I was seeking an OnShape-based answer. So I gather there is none yet.
    I finally used Open Scad to turn the STL model upside down.
    I think that PrusaSlicer is based on Slic3r so it could be that you already have the option to select a face on the part that will be oriented so that it is down on the bed.  I had a brief search with Google and YouTube but couldn't find it, though that search did reveal that Slic3r can rotate a part about any of the axes and that might suffice for you.  If you are using an old version of Slic3r you might want to consider upgrading to a newer version or even changing to PrusaSlicer if that directly supports your printer or you feel up to configuring it for your printer.

I've had the same sort of problem routinely many years ago when using a different CAD program to export models for CAM use.  I'd forget to build the model in CAD so that it would be located in the right orentation when imported into the CAM system and learned pretty quickly that it was simplest just to re-orient the model from within the CAM system, so that's what I do now in CAD for 3D Prints. 
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    Here's a video showing how to do it in Slic3r @ 2:35 ish. and..."though that search did reveal that Slic3r can rotate a part about any of the axes." Is there another feature you are looking for? Have you not done a simple google search?

I just downloaded Slic3r. Select the object, go to the tool bar>object>rotate>then choose the axis you want to rotate about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuKRSr1FbcU

Answers

A simpler solution might be to orient your part in the slicer.  PrusaSlicer has a feature that lets you select any flat surface and make that the bottom of your part and I'd think that most other slicers do as well.

• uri_shani653uri_shani653 Member Posts: 5 EDU
    Thanks Michael. I use Slic3r which lacks that feature, though I was seeking an OnShape-based answer. So I gather there is none yet.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    That seems strange. I think the export should match the coordinates of the Onshape part studio or assembly, so you're doing it right. Any chance your slicer does any kind of auto-orientation on import?
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    That seems odd to me as well. Just to double-check - when you say you're applying a 180 degree rotation, are you using the transform tool in a part studio (not an assembly)? If so, I would think that would work. 

It seems even more odd that Slic3r doesn't have a way to re-orient models since that seems like one of the first and most important things you define when setting up a print job. If you're able, I would definitely check out some other slicers that may improve your workflow overall. 
    My 3D imports just started to come in to Simplify 3D in the wrong orientation but it's so easy to change I never bothered to change the orientation in OnShape. Cura is just as easy to change and never used Slic3r and with your post here will not if it is indeed missing such a simple feature.
    Answer ✓
    Answer ✓
    I think that PrusaSlicer is based on Slic3r so it could be that you already have the option to select a face on the part that will be oriented so that it is down on the bed.  I had a brief search with Google and YouTube but couldn't find it, though that search did reveal that Slic3r can rotate a part about any of the axes and that might suffice for you.  If you are using an old version of Slic3r you might want to consider upgrading to a newer version or even changing to PrusaSlicer if that directly supports your printer or you feel up to configuring it for your printer.

I've had the same sort of problem routinely many years ago when using a different CAD program to export models for CAM use.  I'd forget to build the model in CAD so that it would be located in the right orentation when imported into the CAM system and learned pretty quickly that it was simplest just to re-orient the model from within the CAM system, so that's what I do now in CAD for 3D Prints. 
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    Here's a video showing how to do it in Slic3r @ 2:35 ish. and..."though that search did reveal that Slic3r can rotate a part about any of the axes." Is there another feature you are looking for? Have you not done a simple google search?

I just downloaded Slic3r. Select the object, go to the tool bar>object>rotate>then choose the axis you want to rotate about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuKRSr1FbcU
  • uri_shani653uri_shani653 Member Posts: 5 EDU
    Thanks Larry and Michael. Indeed SLIC3R has that feature. Hidden in the drop down "Object" menu you can choose a rotation axis.
    Same works also in OnShape as Tim pointed out (thanks) asking whether that was done in the assembly or the studio.
    So - it sticks if you do that in the dtudio, but it is better to let the CAM system do that when producing the part.
    I have probed both Onshape and Slic3r for that flip, but apparently not sufficiently. My appologies, yet I hope this discussion will
    help somebody else one day.
    BR

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @uri_shani653 - glad we could help!
    @uri_shani653 - glad we could help!
    +1