Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do you make it so two animations play together, but at different speeds?

jackson_holmjackson_holm Member Posts: 6 EDU
I am making a simple machine with a cam and follower. Currently my follower moves too slowly for the cam when I animate it. I am trying to make it so it looks like they are moving and working together. 
The light blue part is the one that moves too slowly for the dark blue part.

Best Answer

• Options
    Domenico_DiMareDomenico_DiMare Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 85
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    @Jachson_holm It looks like you used a Rack and Pinion relation between one of the Revolute mates and Slider 1. Since this is a cam, you actually want to use a Tangent mate so that the surface of the follower is always tangent to the surface of the cam. 

Take a look at this YouTube video that is about a similar project:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p_1oe57zJ8

Answers

• Options
    Domenico_DiMareDomenico_DiMare Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 85
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    @Jachson_holm It looks like you used a Rack and Pinion relation between one of the Revolute mates and Slider 1. Since this is a cam, you actually want to use a Tangent mate so that the surface of the follower is always tangent to the surface of the cam. 

Take a look at this YouTube video that is about a similar project:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p_1oe57zJ8
  • Options
    jackson_holmjackson_holm Member Posts: 6 EDU
    @Domenico_DiMare the tangent mate worked i think. but when i go to play the animation, nothing moves now. Also, is there a certain thing I have to do to turn the crank freely with just the mouse like in the video?