Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

how to tear a face in sheet metal

shrekantshrekant Member Posts: 16 EDU
I am using sheet metal to develop a smaller box kept centrally on top of another bigger box below.
is there a way to tear the sheet at the face on which the small box is placed?

I have attached the file for your reference.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/44d587a0aaa7ac535c6aff77/w/303b52a7f8cad39f7c7e438d/e/cfdc4e37b762f256bc1c5ad7
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 804 PRO
    I think I could probably help but I'm afraid I just don't understand what you are trying to accomplish.  The document does not allow copying so I have no way of manipulating it to butter understand what your process is.
  • Options
    I have now made that document public. Hope you can help now.

I have added few flanges that allowed me the desired shape. But that is placing the tear Central to face. You can roll to end to see what i mean.

I want the same to be customisable.
  • Options
  • Options
    Sorry,

But you didn't make the document public. Unable to access.

Same thing happened earlier with my file :# ...
  • Options
    Ooops.  Sorry.  I didn't realize I was signed into my work account.  Its public
  • Options
    1st covert to 2 surfaces then sheet metal. 

That way we'd end up with two separate pieces of sheets. It's that just a work around or do professional prefer it this way.

Plz advice.
  • Options
    I thing I'm just not getting what you are trying to do as "the smaller box sitting on top" means a separate piece sitting on top.  Which part of your initial attempt in the original document was not working?