Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why does Onshape reset my view immediately after I pan?

DoglikeDoglike Member Posts: 10
edited June 2021 in Community Support
Onshape resets my zoom and pan commands every time I try to move in close on a part. It's driving me nuts. Is there a way to disable this behavior?

Reproduction Steps:
  1. Draw an extruded box.
  2. Add a sketch on a perpendicular face consisting of a construction line and construction circle with a radius larger than the extruded box.
  3. Zoom in, but maybe a bit off from center of the box.
  4. Pan so that the box is now in the middle of the window.
Expected result: zoom level is maintained while pan is applied.
Actual result: the zoom and pan you just applied get reset. Onshape zooms out to fit the entire part, including construction lines in the window.

Steps 1-2:

Step 3:

Answers

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    that is not normal behavior.  Perhaps try a different browser or give us more specifics on what you are using.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    jake_delano19jake_delano19 Member, csevp Posts: 19 PRO
    @Doglike could you potentially provide a video of this? I am not seeing this issue on my end while doing the same steps

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    That is weird! I also don't have any issues with this happening. 

How are you panning? Middle mouse button or a keyboard shortcut? 

One thing to note is that if you use some shortcuts for specific views (like Shift+7 for isometric view), onshape does automatically zoom to fit. So, if you pan, then try to go to an isometric view using the shortcut, you'll see what you describe. But, if you're just panning and then doing nothing, the view should not change on it's own. 
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Is your middle mouse button being touchy and clicking in the middle of dragging? That could be the cause of it.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    DoglikeDoglike Member Posts: 10
    I don't believe I took any specific steps to change my document or workflow to solve this problem, but it seems to have fixed itself somehow.