Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Importing DXF not working (despite following directions)!

olaf_verdonkolaf_verdonk Member Posts: 3 EDU
So I have ALWAYS had trouble importing DXF files...I know this topic is endlessly asked and answered. I have read the forums. I have follow the directions exactly.
I CAN NEVER GET THIS FEATURE TO WORK!

I have used CorelDraw SVG software to complete a vector trace of a logo (i.e. batman)...exported outline as a .DXF (in AutoCAD versions 2007 and 2008-2013)
I use the "+" button to first upload that .DXF file.
Then when I create a new Part Studio, start new sketch in Top plane, and (with Sketch1 open) try to import that .DXF file

ALWAYS get message "Some entities could not be converted properly."

I have tried the .DXF import features so many times on so many different files and it never works!  I always give up and find some other way....but that is inefficient.
Someone PLEASE help me figure this out!

Here is OnShape file
Here is .DXF file
here are screen shots.

Tagged:

Answers

• dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    Use Inkscape to make a proper DXF, or import the picture of the logo into Onshape and make a sketch of the logo, it is a symmetric logo and not difficult to draw.
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe not something you want to hear, but I found out the easiest way to go about this is to use some other piece of software to convert from DXF to SAT, and then bring that into Onshape. That’s worked good for me

• olaf_verdonkolaf_verdonk Member Posts: 3 EDU
    edited June 2021
    Dirk! bedankt voor het antwordt.
    I know that I can easily use splines and geometry to "trace" the logo...especially one this easy. This was just an example...
    In fact I have already done so!  But that is beside the point.
    I teach engineering to high school students and I preach efficiency.  (like figure out how to use a laser instead of 3D printing!)
    So being able to do a quick vector trace using Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw then just export/import the DXF file into OnShape is way more efficient then tracing with geometry etc.
    I am not sure what you mean by a "proper DXF", but I will try InkScape and see if I get better results.
    (does Adobe Ill/CorelDraw not produce "proper DXFs" ??  I use these DXFs on my laser all the time!)

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I took a look at the DXF in Inkscape. It does look like the splines that are exported from CorelDraw are causing the issue. The splines I saw when I imported the DXF were not very "clean" and sometimes had curves that would self-intersect (and possibly had some sort of overlapping geometry as well). I used a function in Inkscape to clean it up: Select the whole path, then go to "Path" menu ->  "Simplify Path". I exported this new version an uploaded to onshape successfully. 

It's hard to say if this issue is caused by Corel itself, or it its because of the way the splines were drawn. I would suggest using as few spline points and control points as possible. You could also try using inkscape directly and see if that works any better for you. 

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 517
    @tim_hess427 We see issues with not very "clean" DXF/DWG data created from more graphics related programs - Inkscape, Illustator, etc...  There may be improvements we can make to massage some of these cases on import, but it's always best to get cleaner data from the start.  
  • olaf_verdonkolaf_verdonk Member Posts: 3 EDU
    When you say "clean" does this mean fewer spline points?
    As a rule I try to reduce the number of spline points, but SVG software tends to create a TON of points when it does a vector trace making the task counter productive..
    I will check out InkScape and see if I get better DXF trace results.
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 517
    edited June 2021
    @olaf_verdonk One case we see is when there are extremely high areas of curvature on splines, such as a sharp corner - when there ideally should be several splines that are joined or split at these areas of high curvature.  This case here is representative of that:

You can certainly submit a ticket from the help menu by selecting Contact Support or the Report a bug option for free users.  Share the document with Onshape Support and we can take a closer look.